Part seven

It had been around a month since the Anniversary of Leora's parents death. She was out of her bed after three days, and that is the fastest she's ever recovered. It was after school and she was making her way to Gilbert's, nothing interesting had happened that day other then the girls gossiping and looking at the boys. In other words she needed to see the kind smile of a certain Blythe she had unknown to her grown to love. As she knocked on the door she got no answer, so after a while of waiting she got worried and entered the house.

Then there he sat at his kitchen table, his face as white as a sheet and his eyes puffy and red crying into his hands. Her hand went straight over her mouth realising what this meant, she rushed over to him pulling him into a hug soothing his cries. He was in shock at the contact at first but then melted into it recognizing the smell vanilla and apples. He cried into her shoulder trying to speak but failing and she just said, "I know Gilbert I know, I'm right here and I'm not leaving your side for anything."

So she didn't she sent the first person she saw passing the house on their way home to bring the news to Marilla that she would be sleeping there for a time and she took the guest room right next to his. She cooked him food, cleaned the house and but never rushed him to leave his bed. Then after two days it was the funeral and John's carer insisted on making the arrangements leaving her just to get Gilbert dressed and out of bed, "come on Gil, if you don't go today you'll regret it for the rest of your days." He tried to muffle his cries as he said, "I don't if I can watch as they..." She crouches down and takes his hand, "I'll be right by your side if you wish hold my hand, if you can't watch that's fine just look at me." He nods, "okay, I'll get dressed."

After he got dressed the French boy Jerry had dropped off Leora's black dress and gave his condolences before leaving. Gilbert didn't know how times he would be able to bear hearing the words, 'I'm sorry for you lose' or 'he was a good man and will be missed'. Gilbert knew he was a good man, and all of his friends had never visited when things got bad, all that truly cared for him at the end was Leora and him. So when the walked started and she went to walk behind him with the Cuthbert's he grabbed her hand, "I need you." She gives it a squeeze, "then I'll be right here. Always." So she did she walked next to him as a crowd of black followed them to the Blythe grave yard.  On the way people would have thought the sniffles that could be heard were normal but Ruby wasn't crying for John Blythe but for her darling Gilbert who was holding another's hand.

After the service everyone went to the house however Gilbert stayed frozen and Leora said, "I'll leave you to--" He cut her off, "please don't." she nods and he takes them to sit down on a near by bench. He takes off one of his gloves and catches snow that had fallen and then asks, "do you think it hurts? Dying I mean." She shrugs, "I think it's more like falling asleep, I would like to think it frees them from their pain." He nods, "I guess, are you going to go back home after today." she shakes her head, "not if you still need me." His eyes start water staring at the grave and she pulls him into a hug and they both silently say their goodbyes to John Blythe. Leora intended to never break her promise and always to be there for the Blythe boy. No matter how much he pushes her away.

They both then finally get up and reach the outside of the house when Gilbert stops in his tracks, he can't do this, he can't go in there and pretend that everything is fine. Seeing the look on his face she turns him back around, "come on, let's go for a walk, yeah?" He nods and turns with her as they both start to walk away from the house. As they do they hear footsteps behind them and hear Anne call out, "Gilbert!" As Leora goes to stop he continues dragging her hand with his and Anne then says, "it was a lovely service. It seemed fitting somehow. Everything so white and still. I've always though the minister prays quite mournfully, so this suited him nicely." Leora resists the urge to roll her eyes, what is she yammering on about now, then just as she thought her words couldn't get any worse she then says, "being an orphan has its challenges, but you already have so many advantages, you'll be much better off then we were. I didn't know my parents. They died when I was a baby, so I couldn't fend for myself the way that you can. I don't remember them at all, but you always will. You know when you think about it, you're really very lucky."

That caused both to stop and Leora's eyes are now as wide as can be as Gilbert asks, "you think I'm lucky?" Anne nods, "compared to me? Yes." Gilbert scoffs, "and why is this about you?" She stutters and Gilbert then walks off dropping Leora's hand. Leora shakes her head, "go home Anne, what you said was despicable. I knew my parents a little do you count me as lucky. No orphan is lucky especially on the day of a parents funereal. Just leave, I'll deal with you later." As Anne went to argue Leora had already ran after Gilbert, how could her own sister not side with her, she had never been mad at her before. She always told her everything was alright and that is wasn't her fault. Had Gilbert turned her own sister against her?

Back the funeral a mother of the town and Mrs Berry were gossiping the mother said, "well I heard that orphan girl Leora has been staying here since John's passing." Mrs Berry gasps, "oh my word, God knows what they have been doing. With no adult here at all?" The other lady shrugs, "I think that women other there, John's old carer came yesterday but before that, all alone." Mrs Berry shakes her head, "and now the two of them seemed to have walked off together, I would have never. We must inform Marilla to keep a close eye on them." The other mother nods, "we must."

Leora had finally caught up with Gilbert and grabs his hand, "wait, Gilbert what she said was wrong." He sighs, "I just don't know why she would ever say that." I nod, "I know, and truth be honest sometimes I think it's better not to remember them. Less to miss." He nods, "yeah, maybe." She squeezes his hand and they continue to walk around the fields in a comfortable silence.

A/N: Hey guys let me know what you think of this story so far I'm really enjoying writing this at the moment and can't wait to hear what you think. I honestly thought no one would read this so thank you and Happy New Years.