Chapter 2

Author's note: I hope you are enjoying the story. It would be lovely to hear from you so I know what does or doesn't work and which characters you would like to see more of. If you do like the story, please show it some love by clicking on the Vote button. 

------------------------

The following morning, Cokelli informed Lorcan that the king had let Sir Lesintigan, Lorcan's would-be murderer, go free. "He is furious about the fine for disturbing the peace, which he will no doubt blame on you."

"Naturally," said Lorcan, who was using a polished piece of tin as a mirror as he shaved.

"He has vowed vengeance on both of us for demonstrating utter disrespect in front of everyone."

"Did he really?" Lorcan asked, stretching his lips to the left to provide a taut surface for his razor.

Cokelli nodded. "He says he will add our heads to his collection."

Lorcan shook the suds from his razor and dipped it into the bowl. "Is that all? I tell you, Cokelli, the standard of threats I am getting these days is falling. Besides, I thought I was the only Soduane warrior here. He looks like an Aefwealding to me. They don't take heads." He lifted the razor to begin the other side.

"This one says he does," said Cokelli. "You might be more concerned to learn that he has a retinue of forty men at arms."

Lorcan paused, lifting the razor away from his face. "Is that so? Then why was he at the strangers' table with us? A man with such a following would have been seated closer to the king."

"Well, we know he has been dishonest before, but he did have a crowd of men around him when he told them what he planned to do."

"Forty?"

"You know I can't count, Lorcan!"

"Hmm," said Lorcan, "I would certainly be more concerned, then. Do you think he'll let me finish shaving before he comes to murder me?"

"I could ask."

"We need a plan." Lorcan resumed shaving.

"I could get some serving-maid's clothes," said Cokelli.

"Not again—that's too predictable. A diversion, perhaps."

"Shall I set the stable on fire?"

"At this time of day, you'd be caught, and I would be the one paying the fine." Lorcan shook the suds off his razor, then dipped it in the water.

"If you carry on, Lorcan, I will go and speak to the lady who sat opposite you last night."

"What can she do?"

"If she has a carriage, we could ride in comfort with her family when they leave."

"Or pretend to. See to it, Cokelli."

Lorcan continued to shave. It occurred to him that a further diversion might be required. He knew the king would not permit blood to be spilled in a knife fight or brawl in his halls, but jousting was a different matter altogether. And there would be jousting later on this day to thin the number of knights and warriors going on the quest. The plan forming in his mind depended on Lesintigan not knowing which banner was his. He rinsed his razor and grinned. Lesintigan would, of course, be absolutely furious when he discovered that he had been tricked, but Lorcan and Cokelli would be long gone by then.

A short while later, Cokelli returned as Lorcan was patting his face dry. "She won't let us borrow it."

"Fear not, Cokelli," said Lorcan, "I have an idea."