Chapter 7

Author's note: do I need to warn for a talking severed head? There is one, along with some mentions of violence and gore. A surprise from Lorcan's past gets ready to cause problems for our hero in the future. 

---------------------------

As Cokelli had predicted, the thugs left them in peace and they continued on their journey unmolested till they reached the other side of the Forest of Gebryddan. The open sky above was a welcome change from the leafy canopy that had covered them. The horses tossed their heads and trotted along, clearly relishing the unencumbered landscape.

Lorcan's mood improved as if he was leaving his memories and guilt behind, too. "We should arrive at Hefna soon," he said airily. "From there, we go to Galwalas, then Gotan. After that, it's a long journey through the wildlands to Mayatsum."

Cokelli sighed. "There's just one problem with that. You've no idea where it is or how to get there."

"Well," said Lorcan, "I know it's to the east, and it's on the other side of the Sea of Numol. All we have to do is find Numol, and get to the other side. How hard can it be?"

Cokelli gawped. "I'd no idea you knew anything about the world beyond Soduane."

"I talk to the merchants and traders when they come in," he replied. "I've written down a lot of what they told me. The rest is up here." He pointed to his head. "We'll offer our swords to a merchant caravan going to Gitesco. They won't refuse."

Cokelli nodded his approval.

"Cokelli, where do you think I got the idea to go to Heftreeke and the castle Naceaster?" asked Lorcan, with his head on one side.

"I had wondered that myself," said Tinkle. "I mean, it seemed at first that you blew in on the wind, but there did seem to be some method in your madness."

"That's what I was thinking," added Winkle. "Where did you get the idea from?"

"It was just after the last Snersker raid, and I wasn't very popular at home, for obvious reasons. People I'd known for years were finding reasons not to talk to me. They'd say they were busy to me, then tell other people they were free. Whenever I went to the lomanch pitch, nobody wanted me to play on their team. What I couldn't understand is that, before... you know... everyone complained about him. Afterwards, they never mentioned him, but they wouldn't talk to me, either. It was as if I was dead, too. I went to Calafort with Cokelli and started talking to the merchants in the inns. They had the whole place abuzz with the story of the Aefwealding king of Heftreeke and his dragonquest. The thought of getting away from the trouble at home and maybe getting something better than a bad name appealed to me, so I got on the next ship to Cumri and traveled with the trading parties."

"Yes," said Cokelli. "That's how we did it."

"Is it going to be that easy, though?" asked Tinkle, his face wrinkled with skepticism.

"Well," replied Lorcan, "it's worked well enough so far."

"Yes," said Winkle, "but what about the dragon? they are not going to bring you to him."

Cokelli nodded. "That does appear to be a flaw in the plan. Then there's the fact that you don't know the languages of the people out there. We only know Aefwealding because we trade with them."

Lorcan snorted. "We'll think of something. Don't douse my fire. Besides, I can't go back. What else can I do?"

"The hired sword thing appeals," said Cokelli.

Lorcan frowned. "Till we are too old to do it anymore. Besides, I like the thought of being king, regent, or something rich and powerful."

Cokelli sighed. "You do know the king just wanted to weed out the ambitious lords so his son, should he have one, will be able to become king when he comes of age."