Chapter 15

Author's note: I'd like to thank all of you who have commented on and voted for my story. I really do appreciate all of you. Criticism is welcome; it helps me to grow as a writer so don't be shy.

-------------------------

Dawn crept lazily through the mist that blanketed the village. Lorcan woke up after the rising sun had burnt it off. He raised his throbbing head to ask for a drink. The juddering racket caused by Cokelli dragging the storage chest away from the door grated on every frayed nerve, squeezing his head like a vice. "Baleff's horns, Cokelli! What is that in aid of?"

"Heshbon came in and went rooting through our stuff last night," said Cokelli. "I pushed the chest against the door in case he returned."

Lorcan groggily pondered this. Realization oozed through the cracks of his consciousness. He propped himself carefully up on one arm. "How drunk did I get last night?"

"Well, the chest made just as much noise when I dragged it over last night," said Cokelli in a tone that would have got his ears boxed a lifetime ago.

"Will you bring me a drink?"

"I will," replied Cokelli. He pulled up his leggings and left the room.

Lorcan sank down, rolled onto his back, and dozed until Cokelli returned with two mugs and passed one to him. He sat up and gratefully took it. The small beer moistened his mouth, which felt like it was stuffed with Snerskers' socks. Whether the old saw about the hair of the dog was true or not, the soupy drink made him feel a lot better.

When they had both washed and Lorcan had shaved they went downstairs and, after a breakfast of bread and cheese washed down with more of the small beer, they walked to the campsite. The caravan was bustling with activity as people washed their clothes, attended to the wounded, and made repairs to the vehicles and merchandise.

When the caravan guards told them that Beso had gone to the big house on the hill, Lorcan and Cokelli decided to pay the place a visit. This resulted in a pleasant afternoon with Beso, Heshbon, Henorm, and the Ludanos as guests of the house's owner, who sold them two small barrels of liqueur before they left with Beso's party and three wagon-loads of wine barrels. As the sun was going down they arrived at the caravan on one of the wagons and busied themselves with helping to move the barrels from the vineyard's carts to the caravan's.

Heshbon made a point of avoiding them by busying himself with the records of the barrels that went on to the wagons that belonged to Beso. Try as they might to get him on his own, he was always too busy either writing things down or talking to the other travelers

Lorcan nudged Cokelli and jerked his head at the village. 

Cokelli followed him silently to the inn where they were staying. Lorcan went upstairs while Cokelli asked a serving maid to bring them soap and water. She followed him up with it a moment later, and he closed the door firmly behind her when she had left. They refreshed themselves, then Lorcan called the gnomes. They didn't respond. He searched the room but found no sign of them. The mug and the remains of the trencher from the night before were gone. They decided to eat before going out to look for them in the stables. After they had eaten they each took a slice of bread, dipped it in their stew, added some morsels to it, and folded it in half, then went back upstairs with a mug with some ale in and called the gnomes again.

Tinkle peeped out from under Lorcan's pillow. "I'm here."

Winkle followed him out. "Me too."

"We were calling you two earlier," said Lorcan, bending down to give them the food he had brought. "Where were you?"