Chapter 9

Cokelli glanced nervously around. "Are we actually in Galwalas?"

"Is that a relevant question?" asked Lorcan, moving slowly to stand back-to-back with Cokelli. He considered pulling out his sword for a moment, then thought better of it.

"It is if we're surrounded by angry villagers," Cokelli replied. "If we tell them we are Soduaner, they might decide to let us live."

"Well, we don't look like anything else," said Lorcan, who was too nervous to wipe away the sweat that had started to trickle down his brow.

"I don't know, but at least they've stopped whatever it is they were doing for the moment."

The villagers regarded them with suspicion for a moment, then one of them stepped forward. "Soduane?" he asked in a strange accent.

"Yes," replied Lorcan.

The villagers muttered among themselves for a moment, then the man who had addressed them spoke, scowling with suspicion. "'Ow you get 'ere? Why you not get off at Labri?"

Lorcan considered his answer. They were unlikely to believe that he and Cokelli had simply been deposited here by Snersker pirates, or even by Aefwealdings in league with the pirates. "We are on a quest. King Adakan of Heftreeke says that whoever brings the head of the dragon Fierreled back to Naceaster will be made regent or king of Heftreeke."

The spokesman relayed this to his people, who all guffawed their amusement.

"'Ow are two Soduaner cattle-thieves going to do that?" he asked. "Zis is not like, 'ow you say, sneaking up on a cow. Ze dragon is big and fierce. You will not survive to tell ze tale!"

Not in a position to object, owing to his being surrounded by Galwalars with sharp objects, Lorcan held his peace, but he was angry nonetheless. His hands curled into fists involuntarily, but he fought to keep his face straight. This could easily get out of hand. "We are cunning," he said, "so we won't resort to brute strength like the others."

"Is zat why you 'ave landed 'ere?" the man asked. "Zis is your cunning plan – to go in ze completely wrong direction, far from ze trading routes zat would bring you near to where ze dragon lives?"

"We had a little trouble on the way," replied Cokelli.

The Galwalar snorted. "I am sure you did. Well, we do not want any of ze trouble you bring 'ere in our village, so we will bring you out to the forest, and you can camp zere for ze night. If you follow ze road, you will arrive at Mayfiont before noon. Carry on towards ze south, and you will reach Labri. Zat is your only chance to find ze trading routes to take you to Mayatsum."

Unwilling to argue, Lorcan and Cokelli allowed themselves to be escorted away from the village and out onto the forest road. Night was falling when they arrived, and the Galwalar gathered wood for them to light a fire with, then went away, their faces puckered with distrust.

"So much for the laws of hospitality," said Cokelli. "Those people are awful!"

"We were lucky," Lorcan replied. "The leader actually talked to us in Aefwealding. I have heard they prefer not to use that language at all if they can help it. At least they gathered wood for us."

"That was to stop us going to the village looking for a place to stay."

"Well, you must admit, it looks bad to be thrown off a boat the way we were instead of being taken to Labri, where the other foreigners go. Unless you've got a better idea, we'll have to take his advice."

At dawn, Lorcan and Cokelli set off through green pastureland, and, sometime after noon, they arrived at Mayfiont. A strong, rank smell hung in the air there, permeating everything. They went to an alehouse to sample the local brew, but when they went in, they were met with such hostile glares, they decided to move on.