Part 2

The weekend passed in a flash, you got all your homework done and even managed to read some more of your book in amongst the chores your mum gave you. And before you knew it you were back at school. Kozume had a sports bag with him today as well as his school bag, you guessed that must be his volleyball stuff.

At lunch he walked with you up to the roof again and you chanced a question, even though you already knew the answer, for some reason you felt like you should try open a conversation with him.

"So, you joined the volleyball team?" You said as you reached the door to the roof.

He didn't answer straight away, he opened the door and pushed the chair leg in place with his foot. He headed to his usual spot and threw his sports bag against the wall of the planters. You hadn't noticed before, but there were a few spring buds poking through the soil, tulips perhaps.

Before he sat down, he said "Kuroo made me join up in middle school too, I'm not really into sports, but he likes volleyball and convinced me that I'd make good setter. I guess he wasn't wrong, but I doubt they'll let me be a setter on the team this year. There's too many third years."

You'd never heard him talk so much before. He sat down and leaned against his bag as he pulled out his sandwich and Nintendo. You took this as a sign to leave him alone now so started moving towards your spot on the other side of the planters, but he spoke up again making you stop.

"You can sit here if you want, it's a bit more sheltered than that side." He indicated the space next to him against the planter.

You thought for a moment and then sat next to him. You did want to keep talking to him, if you became friends with this boy, then at least you'd have one person who you could talk to.

You curled your legs up and tucked your skirt under them to stop the wind from blowing it as usual and then asked another question.

"What does a setter do?"

Kozume took a bite of his sandwich and turned on his game. When he finished chewing, he said "The setter sets up the ball for the spikers to hit it over the net. But it's a lot more than just that. There's a lot of strategy involved. That's why Kuroo said I'd be good at it, because I'm good at strategy games."

He took another bite of his sandwich and resumed playing the game in his hands. You took out your bento and you both ate in silence for a while. When you'd finished and put away your box, you pulled out your book again, although you weren't really in the mood to read right now. You wanted to know more about Kozume.

You held your book up pretending to read, but then glanced over at the screen of his Nintendo, his character was fighting some kind or Ogre with a flaming sword.

"What are you playing?" You asked genuinely interested. You liked fantasy stories, the book you were reading was actually about a Prince who had been cursed and the main character was a lady knight who had sworn to help him break it.

"It's called Fire Warriors 3. You play as a rogue fire warrior who left the guild because they're secretly working for the demon lord. You have to fight the dark forces and bring down the corrupt guild master to save your comrades." He said not taking his eyes off the screen until he'd defeated the Ogre.

He seemed to get more animated the more he talked about his game, you couldn't help but smile as he described how far he'd gotten already and about the boss level he'd gotten stuck on causing him to stay up till 3am that morning to beat it.

When he finished explaining his game, he went quiet again, he seemed to have realised how much he'd been talking and was embarrassed by it. You didn't want it to get awkward, so you were about to ask another question, but then the bell rang signalling the end of lunch and the two of you got up to head back inside.

After the last class that afternoon, Kuroo was waiting for Kozume outside of the classroom as if expecting him to skip practice and sneak off home.

You waited till everyone else had left the room before getting up from your seat, Kozume was still packing his bag as if trying to put off volleyball practice for as long as possible. But Kuroo was stood in the doorway leaning against the frame urging him to get a move on.

"The third years'll make you work extra hard if you're late you know." He teased.

Kozume seemed to mumble something like "Like that's anything new." As he threw his bag over his should and walked out the door under Kuroo's arm.

You followed behind him expecting Kuroo to stand up and move out of the way after his friend had squeezed past him, but he didn't, causing you to stop in front of him.

"E-excuse me Senpai." You said as quietly as you could, but he didn't move. Instead, he remained stood in the doorway smirking at you, taking up so much space you'd have a hard time squeezing past without brushing against him.

"What's wrong L/N? There's plenty of room for a cute little girl like yourself to fit through there, isn't there?"

You blushed furiously and squeezed past the tall dark-haired boy trying your hardest not to brush up against him as you did. But you failed and your shoulder connected with his chest, you were sure you had left enough room, but you suspected Kuroo had moved closer on purpose.

When you were in the hallway with your heart pounding in your chest, you noticed Kozume's face was screwed up in a frown and he was pouting at Kuroo.

"S-see you tomorrow Kozume." You stuttered wanting to get as far away from Kuroo as possible so your heart would calm down.

Kozume didn't say anything, he just waved in your general direction, still scowling at Kuroo while walking in the direction of the gyms. The tall handsome second year looked down at the blond-haired boy next to him and started snickering.

You re-adjusted your bag on your shoulder and started walking in the opposite direction towards the school gate, but a burst of laughter made you stop and glance over your shoulder.

Kuroo was almost doubled over holding his ribs as he laughed and Kozume punched him in the side making Kuroo laugh even harder. You weren't sure what was so funny, but you suspected it had something to do with you which only made you more self-conscious. You pulled at your skirt and hurried to the shoe lockers and then the train home.