Part 4

You growled at the alarm clock blaring in your ears. You hadn't slept well, it took you forever to fall asleep, and even when you did you kept waking up for no apparent reason. The only other times you slept this bad, were when you had something important to wake up for the next day that you didn't want to be late for, like an Exam or something.

You slapped your hand over the noisy machine and rolled over to see your phone screen lit up. That's when you remembered your conversation with Kenma last night. You rushed to pick up your phone and unplugged it from the charger.

Kenma

1.35: Sorry I was stuck on a level; this minotaur just would not die. Killed it now though. Practice was ok, I guess. The third years are a pain, they think just because they're upperclassmen they can make you do all the cleaning up for them. Like being a couple of years older makes you anything special. Anyway, I guess you're asleep now, I'll see you tomorrow. Night. X

You read this message three times. Every time you saw the little X at the end your stomach clenched. You needed to get a grip, you were being stupid. It was only bothering you because he was a guy. Yui and Hana put X's on the end of their goodnight messages, why should it be any different with Kenma?

You looked at the time and your eyes widened, you needed to hurry up or you'd miss the train. You put your phone down and flung off the covers. Scrambling around for your uniform as you brushed your hair.

You ran to the classroom door; the bell was due to ring any second. Someone else was running in the opposite direction, they didn't see you in their haste to reach the door in time and you both collided with each other as the bell sounded above your heads.

"And that everyone, is why we tell you not to run in the halls..." said the teacher stood behind you.

You looked up from the floor in front of the doorway. Mr Sakamoto was stood with his hands on his hips and a disapproving look on his face.

"Mr Kozume, you should be more aware of your surroundings being a volleyball player. Take Miss L/N to the nurses office, she's got a nasty bruise forming on her head, best to make sure she doesn't have a concussion."

It was only then that you realised the person who had run into you was Kenma. You quickly stood up, which was a bad idea because your vision went blurry, and you swayed a little. Kenma instinctively grabbed your hand to stop you falling over again.

"You can catch up on the lesson after school, I'm sure someone will take notes for you to borrow." Mr Sakamoto said as he walked past the two of you into the classroom, closing the door firmly behind him.

You looked down at your hand which Kenma was still holding and felt your face grow red. "You can let go now, I'm ok. I just stood up too fast."

"Sorry." Kenma said softly letting go. He fell into step next to you as you both headed to the nurse's office. "This was my fault; I should have been looking where I was going."

"No, no. It's my fault, I was running late. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and missed my first alarm." You said gently rubbing the bump on your forehead that was gradually growing bigger.

"I didn't sleep much either, I was up late again stuck on a level. I missed warmups at practice this morning, so they made me do five extra fly laps, that's why I was so late to class." Kenma sounded bitter, you weren't surprised. But he really shouldn't stay up playing games so late when he had early morning practice to go to as well as after school practice.

"I don't know how you do so much on such little sleep." You mused.

Kenma just shrugged. "Used to it, I guess."

You got to the nurse's office and knocked on the door. The old lady opened it and let you in. She asked you to sit up on the examination bench and Kenma stood awkwardly by the door.

"You can go back to class if you want," you said as the nurse looked at your head and handed you an ice pack for the swelling. "You don't have to wait for me."

"It's fine." He said and took a seat in a chair near the window looking out over the playing fields.

When the nurse concluded you didn't have a concussion and the lump on your forehead had shrunk a little, she sent you both back to class. You took your time walking back, there wasn't much point rushing when there were only a few minutes left of Mr Sakamoto's lesson. You hoped Yui or Hana would lend you their notes, mostly Hana. You suspected of the two, her notes would be of most use.

"So um," Kenma had stopped walking without you noticing, you paused and turned to face him in the hall. "I was wondering if you were free this weekend, maybe you'd like to come over to mine to hang out?"

You blinked a couple of times as your brain processed what he had just said. Then you opened your mouth and tried to talk. No words came out, so you shut it, cleared your throat, and tried again.

"I'd like that, but Yui and Hana have already asked me to go shopping with them on Saturday. And my mum wants me to run errands for her on Sunday because she's too busy at work with this big assignment."

"Oh." Kenma said and looked down at the floor. Your heart ached a little at how sad he looked. He must feel like you'd already replaced him with the two girls who now wanted to be your friend. That of course wasn't true at all. You'd never had this many friends before and simply didn't know how to manage them all.

"I could come over next weekend instead? If you'd like?" You gushed before Kenma started thinking you were just making an excuse not to hang out with him. "You can show me your favourite games, I'll have a go at them too if you like, but I probably won't be very good. I'm used to holding books not controllers." You giggled.

Kenma perked up at the sound of you laughing. "I'd like that."