Chapter 2

I woke up sometime, in between the night and the morning. And heard a scream. As I was the most daring in the whole orphanage, even more than the other staff and janitors, I went out to check what happened. And stifled a smile.

There the trash lady was, throwing out the trash.

'What happened?' I asked 'calmly'. I did that.

'Who are they?' She asked me.

'Better call the police.' I fished out a phone from my pyjama pocket, one that I always kept there.

I called the police, and after a short time, there were sirens. I guess that they were patrolling in the area.

And some people in sharp blue, and yellow jackets came up.

'Who found this?'

The trash lady raised her hand, and told the whole story.

'I was out, dumping the trash, and I saw these four, strapped to the lamppost by some filthy rope. Possibly some rope from the trash. It was the most peculiar thing I've ever seen.' Oh yes. I did that. I rummaged in the trash can and found those. I wanted to say, sarcastically.

'How about you, missy? What did you see?'

I tapped my fingers on the policeman's arm, and he yelled.

'Don't touch me... oh.' He realised what I was attempting to do.

'Morse. Can you repeat that again?'

I tapped the same rhythm again on the policeman's arm, telling him what I saw and heard.

'All right, we're done here. Folks, clear up!'

'Wait, don't you need them for interrogation? See if they're working for the same group.'

Wait. Group? This is getting banged up.

'What do you mean?' Trash Lady asked the policemen.

'Lady, you stay here. I'll need the kid to follow me, if that's ok.'

I nodded, and whispered that I would follow the men. I trusted them, according to my gut.

Trash Lady went and told Mrs Bulg, who was also woken up by the commotion and  the sirens.

'Take care, will you? From the both of us.' Trash Lady whispered in my ear, the normal one, and took off.

Actually, I have to admit, the ride was quite pleasant. The policemen were entertaining. They sang along to the radio, in a funny way, like those people who know how to sing, but just made it out of tune.

I nearly burst into laughter.

'This girl's not a laugher.'

Of course I am not one. I don't even talk.

'What do you like to do, kid?' The officer next to me asked. She wasn't the one that I had communicated with. Evidently he didn't know my 'issue'.

'Dude. Try another way. She doesn't talk.'

'But she can hear, can you?' The officer next to me asked. I nodded.

'Use another form of communication, I meant.'

'Can you talk?'

'Yes.' I said, in my loudest volume possible.

'Pardon?' They asked.

I just knew that it wouldn't work.

I morse tapped on her arm.

'._|_...|_ _ _|.._|_|  |-|....|._|_ |  |_ _._|.._|.|...|_|..| _ _ _| _.|,  |..|._..|..|_._|.|-|_ _ _|._.|.|._|_..|.'

'Oh. You like to read!'

'Which book?'

'|....|._|._.|._.|_._ _|  |._ _.|_ _ _|_|_|.|._.|, |_|....|_ _ _|._..|.|...|.|._.|..|.|...|.'

'Oh. You like Harry Potter. That's nice. Look what I happen to have?' She rummaged near the seat, and pulled out a complete box of Harry Potter books. The whole series. My fav.

I immediately immersed into the stack of books that were pushed into my hand. I smiled at the police men and started to read.

After some while, we stopped at a local LEO's.

'We're here!' I was halfway through the Order of the Phoenix. The spot where Umbridge was humiliated in front of the whole OWL examination students with the fireworks.

I just couldn't stop reading. So I just while walked, and read.

The one that gave me the books opened the door.

'Stay here.' She motioned to a chair, and told me to sit and wait for her. Then she was gone for a whole 15 minutes.

'Hi. I would like you to meet officer Foa. He's the chief here. Say hi.'

I waved, and continued to read.

'A quiet child, is she?'

She nodded, I saw the action from the corner of my eye.