Chapter 4

And with the help of Mrs Bulg, who was more than happy to do so, I started combing through the files that the visitors gave me. We counted more than a dozen, to be total.

I was flipping through files, and Mrs Bulg was here to assist me. I just couldn't choose! There were ones from the major agencies in USA, including NSA, CIA, FBI, DOJ and so on. There were also minor ones, for example LAPD, NYPD, Chicago PD etc. You know, I just didn't want too much attention.

'Hm, I've heard of this agency, it has a good reputation. Their efficiency is the highest above all the other ones.' Mrs Bulg pointed to a file. I picked it up, and started to read.

It was agency that I've never even heard of.

An agency by the name of NCIS. By Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

'Wait, here's another one on NCIS.' She handed me another file. For the LA field office.

'That much for the same agency?'

'There're different units, you know?'

I think I'll go with this agency then. The people there seem nice, the recommendation letter's nicer.

I pushed the file over to Mrs Bulg, and she asked me a question.

'Is that the one that you've intended to apply for?' She asked, but the look on her was weird, very weird.

Then, I realised my mistake. It was a form from Spain. How would I afford to go to Spain? I blushed and corrected my mistake. But the problem was, I've had difficulties choosing between the field offices of the states.

The ones that I wanted to go were the DC one and the LA one, but I just couldn't choose.

I pushed the two forms towards Mrs Bulg, and she just looked at it.

'You want me to help you choose? I would recommend the closest one.'

The LA office then. I silently agreed with her. The people seemed nice. I think.

Then, the next day, I had Mrs Bulg call the man that gave me the file. And he arrived, with Officer Foa in tow.

'Well, which one did you decide on?' The answer was pretty obvious, was it? The other files and letters were hidden in my desktop drawer, and only the LA office of NCIS remained, the others dying of loneliness.

'Oh. That one. That's the reason why you called us in, did you?' I nodded.

'Great. Now will you just cooperate with us, and we'll be set in no time!' Officer Foa said.

I did, and they led me into the conference room of the orphanage.

'You know, you can choose, and have options, do you?' Officer Foa said. 'I'm giving you a couple of options, and this has been passed through the hands of the director and he approved. First, you receive training and become immediately a field agent, and usually the trainees become junior field agents. And the second one is that you can be free from training, and you just simply be a junior field agent. What is your choice?'

I held up my fingers and showed them my choice.

' Kay, not much people choose this option. Rare.' He mused. I had chosen option 1.

'When will she start?' Mrs Bulg asked me the question that I've been dying to ask.

'As soon as possible.'

'She's still able to visit, is she?' 'Definitely. In her spare time. And don't mention it to anyone.'

We both nodded to show our understanding, and the man that I've been requested to contact if I wanted the job told me to hitch a ride with him.

We arrived at a training centre, and he told me that I should go and unpack my bags. I just had a small duffle bag containing my toiletries and some of my personal stuff, for instance clothes.

And I did unpack, in a new dorm due to the fact that I was the newest trainee in the whole camp and all the other rooms were full.