11 | The MacKenzie

The room was cold when I finally awoke after a long and glorious sleep. I buried my head beneath my cocoon of quilts. I hated being cold and I almost always felt cold. But this cold seemed to pierce straight through to my bones. I was used to a cast iron radiator keeping me warm and comfortable at all times, not checking to see if a fire was going or not. This was going to be quite a change for me, but I was resilient enough that I could learn to make do without. I was just going to have to get creative with layering clothing.

Yes, for now, I was still intending to stay. Now that my mind was much clearer from a restful sleep and a good cry, I knew Lottie would tell me to stay and not come back for her own sake. That was if there even was a way to go back. She would tell me to take the adventure life was presenting me. Especially after everything with Stephen. She knew. Besides, I was entirely too curious to leave, even if I was able to.

I could hear the door open and heard the footsteps of someone drawing closer. I poked my head out from the safety of my quilts to see who could be entering a strange woman's room unannounced. I was relieved to see that it was only Mistress Fitzgibbons. Although, I had been wondering if Jamie would somehow make an appearance. Not that such a thing would have been appropriate, in this time or my own.

"Come now, ye must get up, lass," Mrs Fitz said. "We need to get ye fed and dressed." I had left my garments on the floor, but they were no longer there. Instead, there were blue garments on the back of a chair. She must have noticed the confused expression on my face because she said, "I'm having yers mended. Right, dreadful state they're in, but after what Jamie told me I understand. I found someone about yer size. I think the blue will bring out the colour of yer eyes wi' that golden hair of yers."

If I was warm enough, I would have blushed. I shivered so terribly that my teeth began chattering.

"Come warm yerself by the fire m'dear," Mrs Fitz said. "It's not roaring quite yet, but it's warmer than over there."

Accepting her advice, I wrapped the blanket around myself, like I had when I was a child pretending I had a cape and the Queen of England. My bare feet padded across the floor as I made my way to the stool still placed in front of the fireplace. Mrs. Fitz was right. It was warmer. She then handed me a cup of hot brother which I eagerly accepted.

Once I had my fill of broth, it was time to dress for whatever lay ahead. Thankfully, Mrs Fitz stayed to help me dress otherwise I wasn't sure I could have managed all the pieces on my own. While I had attempted dressing up a few times for re-enactments of things, this fashion was still a bit different than I was used to. I likely would have worn something wrong were it not for Mrs Fitz.

After seeing the state of my shift, I was glad Mrs Fitz had thought to bring another. This one had a thin edge of lace around the bottom. She then tied a ribbon with two pouches about me. Then came a petticoat of fine cotton. I likely wouldn't be getting the petticoat I had back, seeing as I had ripped it to make bandages. Then came two overskirts in shades of blue as well as a blue bodice. A pair of wool stockings, for which I was eternally grateful, and a pair of slippers completed the ensemble.

"The blue suits ye, lass; I thought it would. Goes well wi' that golden hair of yours and brings out your eyes. The leddies aren't gonna be able to keep their eyes from ye, lass."

That made me blush.

"A wee bit o'ribbon ought to finish it off nicely." She turned out a rather large packet, which looked to be almost the size of a gunny sack, and fished out a handful of ribbons and some jewellery.

Thankfully I knew that women in these times wore their pockets tied about their waists beneath their skirts, which had slits to reach them. Having large pockets was certainly going to be a welcome change from my clothes which sometimes didn't have them. Even as I was sitting there, so she could do my hair, I couldn't help but shove my hands in my large pockets.