Drabble | Coming Home

I've been dying to write Jamie & Ruthie couple-fluff

I've been dying to write Jamie & Ruthie couple-fluff. So, here's something that just spilled from me. It takes place after Ruthie returns back to the past following Culloden. (Don't worry - their reunion happens much faster than 20 years passing) May or may not be canon.

SPOILERS AHEAD

You've been warned. lol

Jamie's eyes fluttered open from his light slumber. He looked up at me quizzically. He slowly reached his hand toward me, as if he didn't believe I was truly there. He hesitated for a moment before he cupped his hand around my cheek. I rubbed my face against his familiar palm.

"Why are ye still awake, Faodail?" he asked softly.

I could feel the tears beginning to well. I closed my eyes for a moment, moving my hands to clutch his hand that was caressing my face. A tear slipped down my cheek. Before I could do anything about it, his thumb gently rubbed the tear away.

I then opened my eyes and met his gaze. I refused to look elsewhere as I made my confession to him. "I--I was scared that if I fell asleep that you wouldn't be there when I awoke. And I'd find this had all been a rather cruel dream." I once again rubbed my face against his hand and refused to let him release me.

"The same thought crossed my mind as well," he said rather softly. "But perhaps if I hold ye, and ye hold me, we'll both ken it's real."

I didn't need to be told again. I practically flung myself at him and snuggled close before he even had the chance to comfortably situate himself. I could feel the rumble from his chest as he chuckled at my antics. But his arms soon wrapped around me and his chin rested against the top of my head. Our bodies fit together perfectly as if we had been made for each other. Lying with him gave me the feeling of safety I had sorely missed and longed for since before he sent me back through the stones.

"You promise you'll still be here when I awake?" I asked, rather childishly. It had only been a little over six months since I had left, but I assumed he was still an early riser. Well, at least compared to me. The last months had been worse compared to before, I hardly wanted to leave my bed. But because of the boys, I had to.

Jamie kissed the top of my head. "Aye, I promise."

I smiled and inhaled his familiar scent that I had missed so much. But then a thought struck me. "What if you must relieve yourself and are gone when I awake?"

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me tighter. "I'll wake ye and drag ye from the bed if I must."

I knew he was teasing me as he kissed my temple. I had missed the easy banter between us. The way he could read me like a book. I had missed him. But I was home once more where I belonged.