4 | A Twist in Time

It was still very dark when my alarm began to chime. My hand slowly reached out to stop the horrid clanging, but another hand reached out and did it for me. Then the light turned on. I nearly screamed seeing Lottie sitting on the chair on the other side of my bedside table. I then looked at her with a confused expression. "Did you sleep at all?" I asked her, trying to shield my face from the light.

"A bit," she stated matter-of-factly, pulling the blanket a bit tighter around her shoulders.

I knew she likely hadn't slept for very long, if at all. Back in medical school, when we had to be up earlier than normal, she would usually stay awake and read. How she could function the next day always amazed me. I required much more sleep than she did. My father would playfully tease me about such things when I was little.

"What time is it?" I asked with the blanket still shielding my face from the light.

"Time for you to get up." Lottie then pulled the blanket from my head. I squirmed, trying to bury my face in the pillow, but Lottie then took hold of my arms and tugged me into a sitting position. My expression must have been rather skeptical because without prompting she told me, "I promise it's worth the early rise."

I shivered and then rubbed my bare arms for warmth. Lottie chuckled. I was nearly always cold, especially here in Scotland. Another reason I longed for America at times. "I have a blanket in the car for you," Lottie teased with a smile.

"How long will we be out today?" I asked rather groggily. Since our first adventure to Castle Leoch, we spent most days out exploring until at least early afternoon. I anticipated today wouldn't be any different.

But Lottie played coy. "You'll just have to wait and see. Now up." She playfully smacked my arm. "Don't make me have to dress you. You know I will."

I rolled my eyes remembering that one time in medical school before I forced myself onto my feet. Lottie chuckled and then left the room. She was already fully dressed. I knelt at the edge of my bed and folded my hands in prayer like I did almost every morning. Knowing I needed to be quick about it, I prayed a prayer that my father had taught me as a little girl.

In the name of God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen. I thank Thee, my Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Thy dear Son, that Thou hast kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray Thee to keep me this day also from sin and all evil, that all my doings and life may please Thee. For into Thy hands, I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Thy holy angel be with me, that the Wicked Foe may have no power over me. Amen

I slipped my feet into my slippers and walked over to my wardrobe. It was safe to say that blue was my favorite color given the number of articles of clothing hanging up that were colored such. It brought out my eyes. Or at least that's why I used to prefer wearing blue. I had once considered my eyes my best feature, but there really wasn't a need to be showing them off anymore.

I pulled a long-sleeved powder blue dress from a hanger and changed into it. I pulled on a pair of stockings before a knit cardigan for added warmth. I then grabbed my satchel with contained my diary and pen, Pride & Prejudice, Of Love and War, my Bible, and my Scottish Highlands history book. I didn't have any idea which book I was going to be in the mood for later, so I might as well bring them all. Although, had I known the adventure I was about to undertake, I might have packed some more useful items like extra stockings, a compass, matches, or food.

My good walking shoes were downstairs, so I made my way out of my room and found Lottie waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me. "You were serious about that blanket in the car, right?" I asked her.

She chuckled and nodded her head. "I also packed a few things to eat when we're done."

"You packed them?" I asked as I put my shoes on my feet.