ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟸: ❝𝚃𝚘𝚢𝚜, 𝚃𝚊𝚙𝚎𝚜, & 𝚃𝚛𝚊𝚙𝚜.❞

My body froze numbly at the sight of the dull and scraped walls. The floor was filthy with leaves all over it, and behind the old, rotten reception desk was a picture of one of Playtime Co.'s popular mascots, Huggy Wuggy, saying "WELCOME!" Almost half of his face was scratched off.

I remember my cooking department being close to where the large Huggy Wuggy was. In all honesty, he was one of my personal favorites. Even though the small toy versions of him were designed to hug kids back, they put the same programming on the large one. When I was on one of my "short" breaks, I'd visit his room, just to see kids giggle as they're being embraced by him. It was great to watch, but I doubt that Huggy's still here. He could either be destroyed to scraps or missing... or he could still be on his pedestal untarnished and I wouldn't even know.

I look to my left, seeing the sign "SECURITY" above the opening. Inside, the door was wide open, and I could see that one of Playtime Co.'s inventions, the GrabPack, was missing.

"I guess they took it," I whisper to myself. "Another sign that they were here."

My eyes accidentally dart to the floor, seeing a toy, ripped up and in a pool of blood. The sight made my skin go cold. I shut my eyes and take a deep breath. It's fine, I reassure myself in my mind. Nothing too bad is happening. Yet.

Suddenly, a blaring static caught my attention. I whip around, seeing a TV connected with a lime green VHS box. Then, the screen started to turn on.

I then hear the voice of Leith Pierre echoing through the barren halls.

"Hi, my name is Leith Pierre, and I'm the Head of innovation here at the Playtime Co. toy factory. If you're seeing this, then you're trespassing. Yeah, we play this little tape on loop whenever we close the factory for the day. So, trespasser, just to make you aware... While we pride ourselves primarily on our high-quality toys and excellent childcare, we also pride ourselves on our security. For example, this facility is full of hidden motion triggers which, once set off, will turn on the factory's emergency alarms and directly contact the authorities. And... that's one of the more tame aspects of our security system. No spoilers! So, you've got my warning. It's not too late to turn around. I just hope that you're certain whatever you're doing is worth it."

I exhale halfheartedly once Pierre's voice vanished into the dusty box of technology. I stood my ground, staring at the cracked, chalky floor. Pierre's last two sentences ringed in my head, as if it was a reminder that was imperative for my own sake.

"It's not too late to turn around. I just hope that you're certain whatever you're doing is worth it."

Shaking my head, I walk behind the reception wall, seeing that the blue hand scanner door was already wide open. Reluctantly walking in, I go through the colorful tunnel... which led to Huggy's room. My eyes landed on his pedestal.

He wasn't there.

I started to shudder as I walked deeper into the lifeless room. I trail my gaze from the large wooden blocks that spelt "HUGGY" to the information board in front of me.

Huggy Wuggy (1984) -

Playtime Co. has designed hundreds of distinct toys, but none connected with people more than that of Huggy Wuggy. Our founder, Elliot Ludwig, aimed to create a toy which could hug you forever! As is always true, Playtime Co.'s '4-Step Process to creating the most lifelike toys,' was a success!

With a bit of string and polyester, our lovable, blue pal Huggy was brought to life! Huggy Wuggy has gone on to be Playtime Co.'s most popular and bestselling toy so far!