Chapter 5b - Talking

During the whole carriage ride home, Kristof hadn't spoken to Armin. He just stared out of the window. Armin tried to kindle some conversation by saying that the weather was nice today, but he got no reaction.

On their way to the mines, it was completely different. Kristof wouldn't stop talking then. But now he just sat there, looking displeased. What was it? Was he angry? Because Armin insulted him again? What did Kristof expect from him then, that he would have lied? Kristof seemed to encourage him that it was okay to tell the truth, so why was he acting like this now?

Kristof had his head partially turned to the window. With the angle that his head was turned, Armin could not see the scar. He looked at the older man, at his face. At his nose, cheekbone, jaw, lips, and eyes with their long black lashes. Kristof's hair was thick and shiny, with a bronze glow around it from the sun rays that came shining through the window. His skin was smooth and seemed soft. It was the first time Armin properly looked at the man without having his attention drawn to the pink gaping cut on his other cheek.

When the carriage stood still in front of the castle, Armin had to stop with his examination of Kristof's face when the man stepped out and, without saying a word, went inside the castle and walked up the stairs.

The servants seemed to know not to bother him because they just bowed their heads and didn't say or ask anything. Adam saw it too and he walked over to Armin, who just came inside.

"Did the meeting with the King not go well? Did something bad happen?"

"Why would you ask that?" Armin asked.

"Well, Sir seems to be angry. It doesn't happen often that we see him like this."

Armin didn't give any reaction but went after Kristof. He'd had enough of this weird behavior that Kristof suddenly had. He chased him up the stairs and through the long hallway, where he saw Kristof enter his chamber. Armin wanted to follow him inside but got the door slammed right in his face.

He banged his fists against the door. "Open up!"

No reaction.

He then pushed the door open himself, which wasn't locked. Kristof was pacing front and back in his room. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" Armin yelled as he entered.

"What is wrong with me? What is wrong with you?" Kristof barked back.

Armin calmed his voice down. "Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings, but I had to be honest."

"You think I am angry about that?" Kristof shouted. "I couldn't care less about that. You... You were so STUPID back there! How can you be so reckless? Do you know what he could have done to you? Anything! Break your legs, torture you. You could have ended up with a nice appearance, just like myself, if he would have decided to cut your face up! You could have been hanged at the gallows. YOU COULD HAVE DIED! And you don't even realize it. Talking to me about the weather!" Kristof ranted, clenching his jaw twice.

"Excuse me? He asked me the question himself! He asked if I thought he was beautiful and I don't think he is. So I spoke the truth. I said no!"

"But you...you—It's the King! You don't—Argh! Just leave me alone for a while. I will come to see you when I have calmed down!"

Then he turned his back to Armin and faced the window.

Armin, on his turn, stomped away from the room and slammed the door shut with a bang. He saw the servants looking at him with wide eyes.

~~~

"I think you should talk to him before the day is over. Otherwise, you will have another horrible night. And he will too," Adam said.