Chapter 18: Duel

~~ A couple of years ago, when Kristof just established his business ~~

"All the paperwork is done. This area is mine now, Adam. Can you believe it?" Kristof asked, proudly. "Soon, there will be the very first diamond mine settled right here on this spot." Kristof tapped his foot on the ground.

"Wow. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!" his friend replied.

Kristof was very happy too. But he knew it was going to be a struggle as well. He knew the aristocrats soon wanted his mine for themselves and he also knew he should be very careful with everything he did, and every decision he would make, for he shouldn't give them any leverage to hold against him. Because with every mistake he would make, he would be in a weak position, and they would try to take everything he had...

~~ Present time ~~

The ballroom was filled with people that danced, sang, talked, ate, and drank. The musicians played joyful tunes and everyone was having a good time.

Armin had welcomed his parents, brothers, and sister. The young Lavina was super excited! Attending a party in an actual castle was all she'd ever dreamed about.

"How are you doing, son?" Armin's father asked when they'd found a quiet corner to talk.

"It's going well. I'm happy. I still don't like how you handled things, but I can't stay angry with you. You were right. Kristof is a good man. He is the best."

"Good, son," the older replied as he pulled his son in for a hug while smiling at his wife. Mother smiled back. She was happy everything turned out so well and her son was happy. It was all she'd hoped for.

Armin's peasant friends had also arrived and were now mingling with other people.

Even though the elite guests were higher in rank, or at least, they thought so, at Kristof's parties, in his castle, there were no ranks! Kristof had said that even the servants were permitted to mingle with the guests.

"Your friend Peter seems to be getting along with stableboy Will," Kristof said to his husband.

"It seems like that, yes." Armin smiled as he watched the two men talk and laugh together. Klaus, Bright, and his lover Rome stood with them as well.

"Did you talk to your father?" Kristof asked.

"I did. Everything is well between us again." Armin answered, happily.

"That's the best news, love. Let's dance."

"Will you guide me again?" Armin asked.

"Of course."

•❁❀❁•

Adam admired May from a distance. She looked so beautiful, yet also a little disappointed. The girl was probably bummed out that nobody had asked her to dance yet. Should he try? He had been contemplating this decision for a while now, causing his armpits to be sweaty and his palms to be clammy from his nervousness.

"Poor May. She clearly wants to dance so badly... Maybe you should ask her before someone else does," Kristof whispered into Adam's ear.

Adam looked at Kristof, a little rattled. "You think she would like it?"

"I think she would, yes."

"Okay." Adam released a sigh. "I'm gonna do it."

Gathering up his courage and making sure to wipe his clammy so that they were dry, Adam made his way to where May stood. Standing in front of his love interest, he asked, "Would you like to dance with me, May?" He could feel himself blushing.