Chapter 8b - The royal party

"Good heavens! This party is awfully boring," the King whined.

It was his own party, but he was just so bored of it all. During every ball, it was the same people, the same music, the same everything!

However, today would be different! Because today, he had invited two men who he had never invited to any of his parties before and who were quite interesting to him. They hadn't arrived yet and the King wondered how they dared to keep their King waiting!

But then, as the man was turning angry, a trumpet was heard and a loud voice announced: "Sir Kristof and Sir Armin!"

The King waited with anticipation until two men walked through the heavily decorated doors. There they finally were, the ones he'd so eagerly waited for. Especially for Armin... He hadn't forgotten the young man who dared to go against him. The boy was so refreshing!

Whispers could be heard as the unusual duo walked in. Beauty and the Beast were the words used to describe them.

Both men bowed before the King, who hastily waved them inside and ordered they could mingle with the party.

Kristof and Armin talked a little and got familiar with the rest of the royal family and the King's advisers. Later, they joined the rest of the guests.

Armin's eyes almost popped out. The ceiling was one big painting. Skies with clouds, Godlike figures, golden curls. He has never seen anything like that before. Huge chandeliers with thousands of crystals hung from the ceiling, and a big fountain stood in the middle of the ballroom. The King and his family sat on a large table stacked with food. For the guests, the servants walked around with big platters containing drinks and appetizers.

Everywhere he looked, he saw gold, crystals, stones, statues, and paintings. It was overwhelming.

"Do you...perhaps want to dance with me?" Kristof asked Armin.

"Oh...uh, I can't dance." Armin had learned some dance steps, but the dances here were a lot more complicated than the dances in his farmer's village.

"This song is very simple. You don't have to do anything but trust me. Do you trust me, Armin?" Kristof asked as he stretched out his hand.

"I... do." Armin reached for the other's hand and followed him.

"Place your hand here." Kristof took Armin's hand and placed it on his shoulder until it was holding him in the right position. He then placed his wooden hand on Armin's back and in his other hand, he took Armin's free one.

They slowly moved around, floating over the floor.

To Kristof, it felt as if they were the only ones on the floor and no one else was there. He could even smell Armin's rosy bath fragrance that still lingered in his hair after his bath yesterday evening.

When the song had finished, a servant came to tell them that the King requested their attention.

~~~

"I have made some cookies myself!" the King spoke proudly and held up a plate with brown round cookies in front of him. Never in his life had he cooked or baked before.

Every member of the table got a cookie and Armin got one too. There weren't enough to give Kristof one.

"Ok, now I want everybody to take a bite when I say 'yes'. Everyone, but Armin. You must wait, Armin." He looked at the others and then ordered for them to eat. "And what do you think of my cookies, can your King not bake the best ones?" he asked.

"Yes my lord, the best."

"These cookies are exquisite, your highness."

"I've never tasted such a good cookie, your grace."