Chapter Three

I woke up in a cold sweat, drenched from head to toe. My breath came out in small pants while I tried to recollect my thoughts. I hated when this happened.

Nightmares weren't uncommon for me on the occasions I managed to fall into a sleep deep enough to have them. They always left me in an awful mood for the day, the contents the forefront of my mind for several hours. I sat up, and dropped my head onto my knees to sit for a second to calm down. My fingers worked on massaging my temples, a headache already forming.

Just what I needed.

After I had settled down a bit, I grabbed my phone from my bedside table to check the time. A little after 4 A.M. There was no way I would be able to get back to sleep at this point. At least it was Friday, and after school I'd have two days free from any academic or social obligations.

I decided to make the most of my time this morning, and work on some homework I'd been saving for study hall. Wren would appreciate my full attention on whatever tale she was planning on telling me. It always seemed like there was something interesting going on in that girls life. A stark contrast compared to my current way of living. Every day was more or less the same for me, ever since we moved. It was boring, but consistent, and there was stability in consistency.

I breezed through my calculus, and took out the book I needed for English Literature. If I got a few chapters ahead now, it would be less work for the weekend. I tried to focus on reading, but the words got all jumbled in my brain. The recurring nightmare I'd been having for months crept back in to my psyche, reminding me of all I left behind when we moved. Sighing, I tossed the book aside and got out of my bed.

When I passed my moms room I heard shuffling, and I was surprised she was awake so early. She usually didn't have to go into work for another couple of hours still. Out she came, wearing the uniform to a diner she worked at. She used to be a stay-at-home mother, but when everything happened, she was forced to get a job to support me. I'd tried offering to get a job to help, but she told me I should focus on school. She knew how much I was dying to get out of here after graduation. Working at a restaurant didn't pay much, so she spent a lot of hours there. Her schedule was given randomly, so I never knew when she'd be here and when she wouldn't.

"You're up early," she said, eyeing my disheveled appearance. If she knew I had nightmares, she didn't make it known.

"The early bird gets the worm," I said flatly, stopping to let her go past me down the stairs. We both approached the kitchen silently, her making a cup of coffee and me looking for breakfast. Anything would do at this point.

"I'll go grocery shopping when I'm done with my shift today. Text me anything specific you want."

I nodded, not letting my frustration show on my face. If she allowed me to get a job, it would be a lot easier on both of us. Pulling out a chair, I sat at the table, not sure what else there was to say. My mom pulled out the chair opposite of me, grasping onto her mug like it was a lifeline. It was one she used pretty much everyday, with a cracked bear on the front, denoting the California flag. We'd never even been to California, so where it came from I had no idea.

The stove light was the only light any of us had bothered to turn on, so it was still relatively caliginous in the small space.

"Looks like it might rain," my mom commented, making my head automatically swivel to look out the window. It was a bit overcast, making it hard to see the early morning stars.

"Yeah, maybe."

The drip of the faucet was loud enough to make both of us startle before settling into the silence again. I drummed my fingers on the wooden table, trying to find shapes in the patterns. My mom took small sips of her coffee while continuously glancing out the window, like the rain would come pelting through at any minute and she could start another conversation about it.