Chapter Five

The pain is absolute.

A collision of souls.

A body that must shatter before it can be rebuilt into something more.

We float within two minds made one as our body contorts, caving in and stretching out. We can feel the confusion of the white wolf who forced our connection, one that never should have been made.

We can hear the balance of power shift as the human took over, stretching to two legs.

Watching.

Backing away.

Leaving us to our fate.

Our every thought encompassed the void, that black hole, the nothingness our human felt in her chest for so long that was not as it had appeared.

No, it was only that there was not enough space for the both of us. We writhed within the body that wailed despite the lack of authority, stuck in a cavern of pitch black and fighting without weapons. I, the soul that had always been there, content to slumber in the safety our human soul provided, took control of the mouth, howling a wailing cry to the moon which witnessed the destruction that led us here.

We are a monstrosity of a shifter caught between two warring bodies.

Leanne had never felt so peaceful. Didn't understand why the wolf was mourning. They were together. She wasn't a dud. She didn't care about anyone or anything else. Nothing mattered but that beautiful second soul she had finally found.

I knew better.

Had seen so much through the eyes of my human.

Had watched the tormented soul grow into something so wonderful.

Had begged her to heed my desperate warnings of a betrayal I had watched brew. It had been the first time I had tried, tried and nearly failed to break through, but Leanne hadn't noticed. Poor, hormonal little human. Poor, drunk little girl. Stupid blind humans and their fantasies.

My Honey-girl.

She hadn't seen the terrible smiles behind the friendly features.

She hadn't seen the mischievous wolves laughing at her.

The promise in the white wolf's eyes.

I felt my soul consume her.

Howled another promise as the transformation completed.

Could do nothing except feel as my human's soul is shattered, absorbed.

Not a dud.

Only a human who had no chance of surviving me.

I hope she is in Luna's hands.

Because I am Direwolf.

A beast in control of two bodies.

Inhuman.

Yes, that's the word my smart Leanne would have used.

I turn, catching the trail of the careless shifter that had killed my darling girl.

I can smell them.

Can smell all of them.

My canine lips rise in mocking smile.

They.

Will.

Pay.