Chapter Eleven

The key ring that dangles from my finger feels so light compared to how I feel. I watch it dance as I hold it aloft, where besides the metal that will allow me entry into a home that I paid for with my own money is a happy face charm winking at me in the fluorescent light of the conference room. I admire it, ignoring the bored expressions of leaders who just want to follow their noses downstairs.

Alan doesn't bother saying good bye after signing the last paper, finalizing the sale. The door closes with a soft click, and I hear Siobhan slap her hand on her thigh with an intake of breath.

"Well," she says, "That was the most interesting meeting we've had in a while."

"That sounds like a good thing," I say, finally taking my eyes of the prize hanging from my finger to look at her. It's something Dee would say, and I'm always happy to steal some of his words. It's often helped me in the past.

"It is. It truly is. I just want you to know that even with Mark's attitude, we're all happy that you're home safe."

"Thank you."

"With that being said, and since it's just you and me, I want you to know something."I perk up, but not in a good way. More like an awful feeling in my stomach that is nothing like hunger.

"I know you're aware that Captain Judson has kept us informed of your life throughout your military career, but we've also had contact with your human Captain as well. He had much the opposite view of you."

"I'm unsurprised by this," I say carefully, using whatever big words I can to force my truth, "Captain Thompson is trusted within the human personnel of the military, but he is prejudiced against our kind, specifically those second souls that are wolf. For the most part, Captain Judson was my direct superior. I can give you the contact of those who will be happy to corroborate—."

"I understand, Leanne. However, I want you to know that in the case of another blood rage, as your Mammy called it, I have the means to contact him for your retrieval."

I sit back in my chair, relaxing my limbs. I hate him. I hate him so much, but I can't let her know the depth of betrayal I feel by her using him as a leash to hold me. I can't believe that he would, in his own many times verbal opinion, stoop so low as to have contacted a shifter on his own. Although, thinking about it, it probably wasn't over the phone. Maybe it was email? No. He'd most definitely had his assistants type letters.

"Now that everything is on the table, I want to know how you're feeling? Are you worried that you won't be able to control yourself? I know there's been a lot of tension from the moment you stepped into the hall, so I want to make sure you're going to be okay."

"I'm fine. Good. I'm good. I'm just happy to be home, Alpha. You were right in your speech earlier. Twelve years is a very long time."

"I know, dear. Alright," She says, standing with another slap on her thigh. She holds her hand out for me to rise with her, "I have another surprise. This is one you'll like though, I promise."

I'm sick of that p-word, but I stand anyway. Shouldering my pack, I let her lead me out the glass door Leader McFurly had watched so intently and onto the balcony. The wood is old. It creaks and wobbles a bit as we move to the stairs heading down. I worry that we'll fall through it. Or it'll fall over. Neither is the case, and we make it to the bottom without incident. I look for the stars again, but the clouds are heavy and they are hidden from view.

"Just wait here a moment," Siobhan says as she jogs away.

Free of an audience, I roll my eyes. Is it too late to re-enlist? For fuck's sake, it would probably be easier being shot at than it is navigating these awful human emotions. All I want to do is shed my clothes and stretch into my body, the only part of my persona that isn't stolen. It's not allowed though, so I keep to two legs, leaning against the wall of the tall building. The air is crisper than anything I'd felt in a long time, and I shiver despite the comfortable seventy two degrees my phone declares on it's weather app.