3. Two Birds

The drive to the hospital was quiet with the occasional tear that escaped my eye. I was seated in front of the doctor as she presents the different ways I could deal with my situation. "You're only about two weeks into the pregnancy, there are plenty of choices for you." My doctor, Solia, assures. Apart from being my doctor, Solia was my best friend. She was like a sister to me and we practically grew up together. 

She knew Mike from our high school days. Right after we graduated, Solia knew I was in love with him. She warned me, but I didn't listen. In time she believed that Mike could change and they became - somewhat - friends. "Are you even listening?" She says. "Yes. Sorry, my mind isn't in the right place right now."

She nods, understandingly. "Like I said, you have many options. You could keep the child, or give it away for adoption.....or even abort." She says. My eyes widen. Even if the child I was carrying was both Mike's and mine, I still loved it. It was indeed the only family I had left, besides Solia. "No. Adoption is an option that I wouldn't have the stability to go through, loosing my first-born." I reply.

"You want to keep them?" She asks, softly. "Yes. Wait. Them? As in plural?" I ask, surprised. "Yes, plural. They're twins." She says, smiling. "I'm having twins. Solia! I'm having twins! You get to be an aunt and me, I'll be a mother!" I exclaim in joy.

"Yes. After what happened you deserve some good news." She replies. A few minutes pass in silence. "Are you gonna go back to California?" She asks. My parents died sixteen years ago in a car crash, I was only twelve when they passed. Solia lived in the same orphanage as me, and we eventually became close friends. 

We spent a rough one year in the orphanage before we finally got adopted by a family. Both Solia and I were adopted into the same family, which was truly a miracle. "And relive every single memory? No. I'm going to go to Oregon." The only place I had left was at my step-cousin, Jeremy. He lived in Oregon with his wife and was my last hope. They've already had a child, Jeremy's wife, Leia, may be able to help me.

There was only one final, minor flaw to my plan. Jeremy and I had lost contact when I moved to New York. Solia tagged along, claiming she had a scholarship to a nearby college. Unlike Solia, I hadn't gotten a chance to finish my studies. After graduation, Mike and I thought we were in love. Clearly that was a mere fling. We got married seven months after my graduation.

My first marriage was my worst mistake. "I need to talk to Aunt Rachel." I say. "She hates you." She replies, softly. "Gee, thanks for rubbing it in my face." I say, sarcastically. "We haven't spoken to her since Uncle Reid passed." She continues. "I know, but they're the only ones who have contact with Jeremy." 

My adoptive parents, whom I address as 'Aunt' and 'Uncle', disowned me for marrying at such a young age instead of completing my course. They were right, as usual. Now I was left with no job, no money and no way to get a job because I had no qualifications. 

"I'm coming with you." Solia states. "No. You have a job to do. I'll be back after the babies are born. Hopefully..." I didn't want Solia to get involved in my messed, not when she had so much here in New York. "I'm coming. The hospital won't mind if I take a few weeks off. God knows I need it." She adds. 

I was still skeptical but agreed. "Fine. I'll book two tickets to Oregon and we'll be gone by the end of this week." I say, hesitantly. "What about the money?" She asks. "I have just enough for the plane tickets and my stay at the hotel." Perfect, but you're not living at a hotel. Not when you have me." She says. We laugh. "Deal." I respond, smiling. 

Oregon was going to be different and to be honest, I need the change in scenery.