Chapter 4

"I honestly can't think of any one reason why I want to be a surgeon. But I can definitely think of a thousand reasons why I should quit. They make it hard on purpose. But only because there are lives in our hands. And there comes a time when it's more than just a game. And you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away. I could quit but here's the thing, I love the playing field."

Vice and Karylle entered the patient's room and found the patient's parents already there. Napatayo naman agad ang mga magulang ng pasyente at magalang na binati ang dalawa.

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Cruz. I'm Dr. Jose Marie Viceral, and with me is one of our newest interns, Dr. Karylle Tatlonghari. Your daughter's previous doctor is currently off the case. But I'm here now and I'll do the best I can to help Angela," magalang ding pakikipagkamay ni Vice sa kanila.

He then turned to Karylle, signaling that it was time for her to speak and present the patient's chart. But despite the latter's calm composure, Vice can still sense that Karylle was a bit nervous.

And he was right. Karylle was feeling a little tense because this was her very first patient as a doctor. She then cleared her throat before speaking, and handed the chart to her attending.

"Dr. Viceral, Angela was admitted here last night due to persistent chest pain following her previous coronary artery bypass surgery a year ago. Her blood pressure is currently 100 over 85. It appeared to have spiked overnight to 135 over 85, but it responded to medication. We did a CCTA test this morning and the results show plaque buildup that somehow narrowed her coronary arteries."

In some way, Vice was amused about how Karylle uttered those words without stuttering. He realized that Karylle was indeed serious about doing her job and that she really is capable of handling herself well during this type of scenarios.

"Doc, ibig sabihin ba nito, kailangan niya ulit maoperahan?" tila nag-aalalang tanong ng nanay ng pasyente habang hawak ang kamay ng asawa.

"Yes, Mrs. Cruz. Your daughter is in need of another operation to remove the plaque in her arteries and prevent more blockage," giit ni Vice habang nakikinig lang sa kaniya si Karylle.

"She already had the same procedure before and there are risks but I'll do my very best for Angela. And once you sign the consent forms, I'll be seeing her in the OR, first thing in the morning," he said politely and walked out of the room, Karylle following him from behind.

Sandali naman silang natahimik hanggang sa makapasok ng elevator. Karylle felt very awkward while Vice was just playing it cool, "Do you want to scrub in on this operation, Dr. Tatlonghari?"

"S-Scrub in? On my first shift?" Karylle knew very well that Vice was going to perform a major operation. And because it was only her first hours at work, it seemed impossible to scrub in on a major operation that early.

"Are you even allowed to let me do that?" she asked Vice, making him smirk like he always does.

"I honestly have no idea. But being the best cardiothoracic surgeon in this hospital, I prefer not to be bound by the rules," he boasted before walking out of the elevator, leaving Karylle inside.

But not before he disappeared from Karylle's eyes, Vice turned to her again and smiled, "See you in surgery tomorrow, Dr. Tatlonghari."

•~•~•~•

Anne and Jericho were talking as they walked towards the deserted hallway of the hospital. Anne had a bowl of veggie salad in her hands while Jericho was holding a cup of coffee and a patient's file. Karylle was already there, sitting in one bed and staring at the vending machine in front of her.