Chapter 7

"Anyone who insists you can sleep when you die clearly hasn't experienced the relentless demands of being a surgical intern for almost a month. But of course, it's not just the job that keeps us up all night. I mean, if life's so hard already, why do we seem to invite more trouble down on ourselves? What's behind our impulse to self-destruct?"

Quickly yet passionately, he continued kissing her collarbone, sending shivers through her entire body. He then took her lower lip into his mouth and pulled her even closer, his hands roaming as if searching for something they desperately desire. They were both breathing heavily, each thrust pushing deeper and deeper.

As Karylle's fingertips delicately traced his face, she leaned in, her lips meeting his again. Vice, overwhelmed by the intensity of the moment, surrendered himself to her kiss, their connection deepening with each passing second. Just as their passion threatened to consume them entirely, the blaring sound of the alarm clock by the side of the bed startled them both.

"It's time already?" Vice's voice held a hint of disbelief, his realization dawning that he and Karylle had spent yet another whole night together, making it almost fourteen in a row.

"Well, you have to get up now. We have to get going," Karylle said quite softly, pulling the blanket around herself. But Vice, on the other hand, seemed reluctant to move. His body still sprawled comfortably on the bed.

As Karylle made a move to leave the bed, Vice immediately reached out, pulling her back to his tight embrace, unwilling to let the morning steal away their moment.

"Anong ginagawa mk? We're going to be late for work. You have patients to attend to," Karylle protested, though she made no move to leave, and remained locked in his arms.

"Wag na lang kaya muna tayong pumasok? I can call in sick, and you'll say you've got a personal emergency. Wag na tayong umalis. We could just spend the whole day right here," Vice suggested, his eyes closed, holding Karylle tightly.

"Dr. Viceral, you have patients waiting for you at the hospital. You can't simply call in sick," giit ni Karylle at tuluyan nang kumawala sa yakap ni Vice. "And whatever this is — I think this should stop. It's been two weeks, and it seems that you've been spending a lot of time here rather than in your own house."

"Or I have a better idea," Vice countered playfully, "Maybe you could come by my place some time. We can do whatever this is there too, you know. No offense, but my place is way cozier than yours," Vice's playful tone earned him a serious glare from Karylle.

Since moving back into their old house, Karylle hadn't been able to fully settle in. Boxes still cluttered the living room and kitchen, white cloths covered some furniture, and every corner still seemed a bit dusty.

"If you're really serious about selling your parents' house, you'll be more than welcome to move in with me. I'm not exaggerating when I say my place is way cozier. I have a two-bedroom unit, with one room vacant. Though I doubt you'll be sleeping in that room because — you'll likely end up sleeping with me anyway," walang alinlangang litanya ni Vice kaya napairap lang si Karylle dahil sa pagiging arogante nito.

"Two weeks into whatever this is, and you're already suggesting we live together. Am I really that irresistible to a renowned ladies' man like you, Dr. Viceral? Do I truly fulfill you that much?" Karylle smirked seductively as she casually dressed herself for work. "I wonder what happens if this keeps going for a month. Sige ka, baka hindi mo na ako kayang pakawalan."

Karylle was in the middle of buttoning her shirt when Vice abruptly leapt from the bed and pressed her gently against the wall. "W-What do you think you're doing?"