Chapter 6

"Remember when you were a kid, and your biggest worry was if you'd get something on your birthday? Or if you get pancakes for breakfast? Being an adult, totally overrated. I mean seriously, don't be fooled by all the hot shoes, and the great sex, and the no parents anywhere telling you what to do. Adulthood is responsibility. And if you're training to be a surgeon, holding a human heart in your hands! That's fucking responsibility! But the scariest part about responsibility? When you screw up and let it slip right through your fingers."

Karylle, like every other intern in the room, couldn't stop herself from yawning while holding a cup of coffee in her hand. It was four o'clock in the morning, and they had to do pre-rounds.

Though it had already been a week since their first day, it was pretty clear that they were still getting used to everything. Maybe except for Angel, who almost everyone thinks already ingrained in her mind the notion that she should be striving to be the best surgical intern possible.

"Seriously! How do you manage to always come here an hour early? Girl, do you even sleep?" di
makapaniwalang tanong ni Anne kay Angel nang malaman kung anong oras dumating ang kasama. Kibit-balikat lang naman ang sagot ng huli habang inaayos ang laman ng kaniyang locker.

"I hope she does. I heard she's scrubbing in with Dr. Pascual today," pagsingit ni Sam na kakarating lang. "That's probably your fourth time scrubbing in on surgeries this week. Am I right?" he turns to Angel who just gave him a straight face.

Pumagitna naman si Jericho at inakbayan ang kapwa intern, "It's too early to ruin everyone's morning, Sam. Just start wishing you'll be assigned to scrub in on an actual surgery rather than babysitting kids with Dr. Crawford all day."

"At least I'm not the one who's deliberately not being assigned to any attending," Sam scoffed at Jericho and turned to Karylle na tila ba may pinatatamaan.

Hindi naman maiwasang mapalingon nina Jericho, Angel, at Anne kay Karylle na tahimik lang na umiinom ng kape sa gilid. Karylle pretended not to care about what Sam had just said, but she also couldn't help but wish that she had been placed somewhere other than doing stitches in the pit.

It was clear that Dr. Dixson was punishing her for scrubbing in with Vice's surgery last week. But Karylle had been concerned by other things aside from that. Other things involve ignoring Vice because of what happened after the surgery.

"You all right, K?" Anne turned to Karylle to get her attention. "Don't worry. Alice will probably assign you to an attending this time."

Karylle just forced a smile at Anne but even before she could talk, the doors swung open, revealing Alice with her usual resting bitch face. Everyone in the room automatically greeted her, except for Karylle who stood quiet at the back. 

"You've been here for a week, so I assume that you all know the drill. During pre-rounds, keep in mind that you are the first person the patients see in the morning. You apologize for waking them up. You say please. You say thank you. You make them feel good about you. Do you understand?" Alice, as usual, did not waste any chance to brief her interns.

"Why is that important? Cause then they'll talk to you and tell you what's wrong. And why is that important? Because then you can tell your attending what they need to know during rounds. At bakit importante yon? Because I'm your resident. I'm in-charge of all your poor souls. And if you make me look bad, you know what will happen to you. Nagkakaintindihan ba tayo?"

"I guess someone woke up at the wrong side of the bed again," Sam said under his breath while standing next to Jericho. "Do you think she'll ever wake up on the right side?"

"Milby, you'll be working in Peds again today. Make sure to keep an eye on your patients this time. I don't want to see you in the hallway looking for them like an exhausted nanny."