Chapter 5

"The key to surviving a surgical internship is denial. We deny that we're tired. We deny that we're scared. We deny how badly we want to succeed, and most importantly, we deny that we're in denial. We only see what we want to see and believe what we want to believe, and oftentimes, it works. We like to deny to ourselves so much that after a while, the denials start to seem like the truth. We deny so much that sometimes we can't recognize the truth right in front of our faces."

Karylle and Vice entered the elevator together. But the former decided to stand a couple of feet apart from him, not wanting to make things more awkward between them.

"I will scrub in with you on Angela's surgery. But just to make things clear, Dr. Viceral. I'm only interested in the surgery and it has nothing to do with you. I'm also going to set aside your sensuous comments, and convince myself that you chose me among the other interns because you know I'm capable enough, and not because I'm the intern you slept with."

Bahagya namang natawa si Vice sa litanya ni Karylle pero huminto rin siya agad nang tignan siya nito ng masama. He then cleared his throat and adjusted his white coat.

"Did you really think I chose you because I slept with you?" Vice smirked that made Karylle turn to the elevator door again.

"Well, I'm not that kind of guy, Dr. Tatlonghari. I might have enjoyed our great night together but I'm still aware of the weight of our job. Kaya wag kang mag-alala, hindi naman talaga kita pinili dahil sa galing mong humalik," ngisi ni Vice dahilan para tignan siya ulit ng masama ni Karylle.

"I chose you because I can see great potential in you. So just consider this as an opportunity to prove it. Nagkakaintindihan ba tayo?" dagdag niya bago nakangiting lumabas ng elevator.

Naiwan naman ulit sa loob si Karylle pero kahit papano ay napangiti rin siya ng kaunti nang tuluyang magsara ang magkabilang pinto.

•~•~•~•

Almost all the interns and a couple of doctors gathered in the observation deck that was overlooking the entire operating room. They were all there witnessing the coronary artery bypass procedure Karylle was scrubbing in. Mabilis na kumalat sa buong ospital ang balita. Even Karylle's parentage and relationship with the world-renowned surgeon Esperanza Padilla quickly traveled across the hospital halls.

Everyone knew that it was very unlikely that an intern would be picked to scrub in for a major surgery, especially on her first shift. That's why many of the interns and doctors assumed that Karylle was picked because of her mother.

"I still can't imagine how she's feeling right now. Dr. Viceral even let her hold the freaking heart!" tila di makapaniwalang giit ni Anne nang matagumpay na matapos ang surgery.

After only a few hours, the doctors in the operating room were now closing up the patient.

Napangiti lang naman si Jericho na katabi niya. Maging siya ay hindi rin makapaniwala sa kung anong nararamdaman ngayon ni Karylle.

"We all know that the only reason she's there is because of her mother," Sam scoffed which earned him an instant death glare from Anne na nasa harapan niya.

"For all we know, you're just jealous dahil hindi ikaw ang intern na pinili. So for once, just shut up and cut her some slack, will you?"

"It was Karylle who got assigned to the patient in the first place. So, there's nothing illogical about her being chosen for this surgery."