The Next Morning

Previously on "Can We Try Again?":

"I'll be fine, don't worry about your mom honey. Everything is going to be okay. I know it will." She said, smiling with tears still in her eyes.

I know she's not okay. She won't be for a long long time. And neither will I...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up exhausted. A week ago, we found out my father was to be engaged to a new woman. Or even already married, we don't really know because we've blocked him out of our life now. I know, no, we know that it wasn't his fault. It's part of being rich. But I still won't accept it. Mom says she understands. And yet I hear her cry at night. She thinks I don't, but it's not very hard to know when someone is crying. After we found out, I've done everything mom tells me to do and even more. I help out so she doesn't have to do much around the apartment. 

"(Y/N)! Breakfast is ready!" She yelled from downstairs.

"I'm coming mom!" I yelled back. 'I don't wanna get up...'

"I know you don't wanna get up, but it's a busy day today." She said, already at my door.

"EeK!" I squeaked, jumping out of my bed and falling on the floor.

"How long have you been there? AND HOW DID YOU KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING?!"

"Mother senses! Also, this is you we're talking about (y/n)." She said, smiling.

'That smile..it's fake. I know a fake smile when I see it. Today's the day. It's official.' I thought looking down.

"(Y/n)...I know what you're thinking, remember..and it's gonna be hard for both of us at first, but I know we can do it. Your dad was a great man, (y/n), but remember we have to understand the situation." She said with a sad smile. "Even if we don't want to.." She mumbled, her smile dropping along with her head to the floor.

"I know mom. It's just kinda hard to think this is happening, I mean my mind keeps going back to all the memories we shared. And just memories of dad..." I said, closing my eyes letting the memories hit me at once.

"I know (y/n), I'm the same way, at night that's all I think about." She said, looking up at me.

"Anyway, how about we go and eat. We don't want the food to get cold. I made your favorite, (f/b)." She said, showing me a smile.

"Okay mom.." I said, still upset. Don't get me wrong I love food. Like food is my only love. But, not even food right now would make me happier.
.
.
.

  As I got ready for the day, I was in a droopy mood the whole time. After finishing my morning routine, I walked downstairs to get my breakfast. As I sat down at the table, my mom placed the tray of food in front of me. She then grabbed her plate and sat down across from me.

"(Y/n)..you shouldn't play with your food." She said, looking up from her plate.

"Thank you for the meal..." I said, sitting my fork back down on the table.

"(Y/n), it's okay, just finish your plate. We have to leave at 10." She said, also placing her fork on the table.

"No not about that, well I'm sorry for playing with my food as well but...This is all my fault isn't it..?" I said slowly looking up at her.

She was shocked. I could tell.

"(Y/n), w-what do you mean by this is your fault..?" She asked me.

"It's my fault!" I snapped.

"E-everything is my fault...It's my fault you and dad got in a fight, It's my fault we can't share happy family moments anymore, it's my fault for the reason you and dad are getting d-divorced! Everything, it's all on me..." I yelled, finally showing my tears that I've been hiding all day.

  That's when I felt it. Something warm wrap around me. It was arms. I opened my eyes seeing that I was in a hug. A hug. I haven't felt this in a while. 

"(Y/n)..I didn't know you felt this way.. It's not your fault (y/n). It was never your fault." She pulled away from me, her hands still on my shoulders. "You see if you really wanna know what happened...me and your dad had an argument about his job. He came home drunk while you were out walking in town. It's normal to get stressed about your job, but he took it a bit too far and crossed the line with me. I started yelling at him to stop and he then started yelling at me. Honey, I'm going to warn you now before you get old enough. Make sure you marry a man you truly love and you KNOW won't harm you. Whether it be mentaly or physically." She said in a stern voice. Mom was never one to show much emotion aside from happiness, seeing as she was a very cheerful woman. It was only recently I saw her be mad for the first time and actually cry. It pained me so much to know that she was having a difficult time.

"I know mom, don't worry. I mean this is me we are talking about, I've dated someone once and we ended up breaking up a couple months later. I loved him. A LOT. And I know he loved me, but we had to leave so I broke both of our hearts." I said, looking down.

"Oh (y/n), I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. If you want to blame someone, blame me." She said, getting on her knees so she could see my face.

"Mom it isn't your fault, you said so yourself. It was dad. He should know better to mention your family.." She seemed surprised by my answer.

"How did you..how did you know he was talking about my family..?" She asked me and stood back up.

"Mom, I'm not stupid. I know you better than anyone. I know that talking about your parents is a touchy subject. I also know what you meant by crossing the line." I said, looking up at her.

"How-I really don't deserve such an amazing daughter." She said, pulling me back into the feeling I loved so much.

"Hey mom, can we do this more often? It feels nice to have a hug." I said, closing my eyes and smiling.

"Sure honey..." She said, also smiling.

"Alright, as much as I love this moment with my precious daughter, I think it's time we finish getting ready. Today's the day it's official. Me and your father are getting divorced." She said, pulling away from the hug and giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Okay." I said, trying to prepare myself for what's to come.