It Was...

A/N: This was originally written back in September 2020. I randomly found it again and decided it was cute enough to publish.

Please check out the ao3 version of this fic to read the author's note about where I've been and why I haven't been posting in a better explanation than what I've been giving; the link is here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/34958215 (I'm really just posting this so people know I'm still kicking and to have smth to nibble on while I struggle to write smth, and I'm so incredibly sorry I haven't posted something since MARCH :( )     (422 words)

It was the laughter that caused an involuntary smile to bloom on his face. It was the voice that could both soothe him and scare him shitless. It was the way he cared so openly, expressed so carelessly, despite knowing it might cause him error. It was the way he loved everything around him with such an incomprehensible passion that made George love him.And then suddenly, it was a face to match the voice he'd been hearing for years. The eyes that revealed so much, always bright and beautiful. It was rough, yet gentle hands on his arm, on his shoulder, and strong arms bringing him into a hug that felt warm and safe. It was the toothy smile that made him feel happy just by looking at it, the smile that could cause a range of emotions to swirl in his chest. It was the way his hair would become unkempt as soon as he was done brushing it, the soft and whimsical swearing that occurred every time it happened. It was the way that nothing changed about him, the way that he made George want to love everything around him that made him fall in love even more.

It was his cool-headed mindset juxtaposing with his excitable energy. It was the giggling that made him laugh back no matter what the situation was, the smile that was too infectious to fight back. It was the constant teasing and chaos-bringing that caused enough joy and entertainment to last a lifetime. It was the way that he cared so little, yet so much, that drew Dream in.And then suddenly, it was everything more. It was the intensity of his dark eyes, squinting every time he grinned. It was how gracefully he seemed to move, while also seeming to trip over air at random times. It was the confident air around him that filled him with mutual energy, his strength being something to marvel at infinitely. It was the way that he empowered Dream to do better, love stronger that made him fall impossibly harder.

It was the way they worked together like puzzle pieces falling perfectly into place. It was the way it only takes a random noise or comment to make each other laugh until their bodies hurt. It was the deep-rooted bond that held strong in their hearts that kept them joined at the hip, and it was everything about them that made them fall in love with not only each other, but also the world around them.