Tommy I, TK I

And here we go! We're starting off with an Austin focus: the Vega girls notice something is up with Owen, Nancy notices something is up with TK, and all it takes is a comment from one of the girls for Tommy to realize what's going on. I also realized a plot point in here messed with one of the cast quotes, so check it again if you need to!

Enjoy!

***

"Is something happening with Owen, Mama?"

Tommy paused in tucking her girls into bed, blinking at Isabella's question. "What makes you say that, sweetheart?" she asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"He's always smiling when he comes over," Isabella answered. "But he's smiling weirdly now."

"Is he?" Tommy asked, thinking back over Owen's recent visits. Ever since Charles had died, Owen, not to mention TK and Nancy, had stepped up to help her in any way she needed. Since Grace's pregnancy had progressed, it had been TK and Nancy who were first to volunteer to babysit the girls, sometimes with Carlos. If she needed help around the house or just needed time to decompress, Owen was the one who occupied the girls or helped cook. Isabella was right, Owen always was smiling when he joined them.

Was he really smiling, as she put it, weirdly now? "Would you like me to ask him?" she asked.

"Mmmhmm," Isabella nodded sleepily. "He should be happy for real."

"Yeah, Mama," Evie chimed in from her bed. "We like when he's here."

Tommy couldn't help but chuckle. "I like when he's here, too."

"Good," Evie snuggled into her bed. "You shouldn't have someone over if you don't like him."

Tommy laughed, standing up and walking over to tuck her in as well. "When did my babies get so wise?"

"From you, Mama," both girls chorused at the same time.

Tommy shook her head fondly. "I should've known." She kicked Evie on top of her head. "I love you, girls."

"Love you, too," Evie smiled.

"Love you, Mama," Isabella yawned as Tommy kissed the top of her head, too.

Tommy turned the lights off and shut the door as quietly as she could, and she headed back into the kitchen, rubbing the back of her neck. She stopped when she saw who was washing dishes in the sink, and she sighed. "I could've taken care of that."

"It's no problem," Owen shook his head. "I made the mess, I'll clean it up."

"It was a delicious mess," Tommy admitted. "You still made dinner, I would've happily cleaned up to give you a break."

"I'm a guest, Tommy," Owen chuckled. "It's no problem."

Tommy snorted, leaning against the counter. "You're hardly a guest nowadays, Owen. At the rate you help out around here, we might as well stick you in the spare bedroom and claim you ourselves."

Owen chuckled. "I'll keep that in mind if I ever need a place to stay other than my house."

"Deal." Owen nodded, going back to cleaning the dishes, and Tommy took a moment to observe him. She finally noticed what Isabella had meant; Owen was smiling, he seemed to always have it while at the house. Now, it seemed . . . muted somehow, as though something was weighing on him. "How are you doing, Owen?" she asked.

"Hmm?" he looked up, blinking in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"A lot's happened the past several months," she answered. "The serial arsonist, the firehouse burning down, Deputy Chief Tyson trying to keep the house closed, rebuilding the house . . . you're the captain of the house, and a lot of the heat's been on you. How are you doing?"