Bobby I, Matt I

In Los Angeles, Bobby wrestles with the idea of returning to New York. Meanwhile in Chicago, the Casey-Brett-Severide household gets a visitor. Heads up, it gets very wordy when we reach Matt's POV. There was lots of background to explain. Suffice to say, lots of changes to canon.

Enjoy!

***

The e-mail headline blinked on Bobby's computer, seemingly to taunt the man. Bobby sighed and ran a hand over his face, knowing he would have to send a reply. He had been cleared for duty months ago, following the sniper attacking firefighters, but there was some part of him that selfishly wished he was still incapacitated and unable to fly.

He was not looking forward to returning to New York.

"OK!" Buck's voice announced loudly, and Bobby couldn't help but smile as the young firefighter bounded into view, hyped on whatever caffeine Eddie had made for him that morning. "Inventory's complete, and we even managed to polish the rig. We should be L.A.'s best-looking firehouse."

"Thanks, Buck," Bobby gave a smile.

Buck frowned. "You good, Cap?"

Bobby sighed, rubbing his temples. "As good as I can be, given what's coming up."

"What's coming up?" Buck balked. "A doctor's appointment? I thought you were all clear!"

"I'm clear, Buck," Bobby hastened to assure him. "There's nothing wrong with me. It's just . . . " He wrestled with what to say, then sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Did I ever tell you I saw Ground Zero?" he asked.

"Ground Zero?" Buck repeated, then sat down, eyes wide. "You mean 9/11?"

"Yeah," Bobby nodded. "It was while I was still in Minnesota. I was a lieutenant at my house, and my captain took a team to New York that included me. It was . . . " His voice trailed off.

"I didn't know, Cap," Buck swallowed. "I'm sorry you went through that. I can't imagine what it was like."

"Terrifying," Bobby admitted. "Suffocating . . . and I mean that literally. I've been on so many scenes in my time as a firefighter, and going through the rubble . . . I've never been so out of breath."

Buck looked close to tears. "I'm sorry, Bobby."

"There's nothing you could have done, Buck," Bobby shook his head. "But thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate it."

"Of course, Bobby," Buck smiled. "I always am." He shifted in his seat. "Is there anything about 9/11 coming up that I can do to make it a little easier for you?"

This kid, Bobby thought fondly. "Not much, really," he shook his head, gesturing to his computer monitor. "I'm not even going to be in the city for the day."

"Really?" Buck blinked in surprise, then it cleared. "You're going back to New York?"

"It's the 20th anniversary," Bobby nodded miserably. "The last time I went to New York, it was awful. But it feels wrong not going back this time."

Buck shifted in his seat, then cleared his throat. "Uh . . . I'd be happy to go with you, Cap."

Bobby looked up in shock. "Buck, I can't ask you to – "

"I'm not asking, Cap," Buck shook his head. "I'm volunteering. I don't know everything you went through on 9/11, but . . . but I don't want you to go alone. I mean, Athena would stow away in your bags if you tried to convince her otherwise, but . . . I went a lot of places when I traveled. I know the significance 9/11 has in so many places. I'm . . . kind of interested in being there myself. And if being there means I can also support you . . . well, that's just a bonus . . . and you're staring at me. Cap?"