Chapter Seven: Phoenix Wright, Attorney General

Emperor Asahi sat in his quarters and waited and waited for a response to come back from Princess Barbie in regards to helping Sakura. While he waited, Asahi was beginning to think of how to go forth with the impending trial that would soon take place. Just then, he heard a knock at the door of his quarters.

"Enter," he called and the door opened, revealing a guard and a well-dressed middle-aged, dark blue-eyed man with a unique spiky hairstyle right behind him wearing a blue suit, a red tie, and black shoes with his attorney's badge pinned to his suit jacket lapel.

"Sorry to disturb you, Your Majesty," said the guard, saluting Asahi. "But I brought the attorney general for Azura to discuss the impending trial. He says that he wants to arraign the defendants as quickly as possible."

"That's quite all right," replied Asahi, rising to his feet. "Leave him here with me and do not allow anyone else here unless otherwise noted. Is that clear?"

The guard saluted Asahi and departed, leaving the middle age man alone with him. For the time being, Asahi would have to put the situation with Sakura on hold to meet him and Honoka's attorney general for Kimon City and for that matter, all of Azura.

"I know that you are exhausted from the events in Konohagakure, so I won't be here for very long," said the attorney. "But I've come to request something from you, and that is to..."

"Arraign the defendants," interrupted Asahi, who then walked over to a small table. "Yes, I am aware, Phoenix. You are perhaps not the only one who wants the trial to start as possible. I, too, want this trial to start as quickly as possible. However, the lawyer who will act as the defense attorney for the accused has not arrived yet."

Asahi had his suspicions, but Phoenix was cutting right to the chase.

"I'm even beginning to wonder if this is even intentional," wondered Phoenix. "Herr von Karma will probably purposely delay his arrival to allow Shimura and his goons to plot an escape from the dungeons of Kimon Castle."

"We are doing all we can to prevent a possible escape," said Asahi. "As we speak, I have ten of my best soldiers guarding them in the dungeons. I've also ordered that if any prisoner tries to escape, then they will kill them right then and there on the spot. But I can only hope and pray that doesn't happen."

Asahi then stepped away from the table and sighed heavily, for he knew that there were far more important matters aside from this trial. But he couldn't focus on them now and instead turned all of his attention towards his Attorney General for his kingdom.

"What are the charges?" asked Asahi, once again sitting by the fire.

"Well, there is the matter of murder, attempted murder, crimes against humanity, and attempted murder of a royal," began Phoenix, pulling out a series of documents and dropping them at Asahi's level. "All of this is, I believe, enough evidence to secure a conviction for all the accused defendants."

"It's important to remember that you might fail to win convictions, Phoenix," advised Asahi. "In which case, some, or all of the defendants will go free, allowing them to continue their reign of terror in Konohagakure."

Phoenix realized the severity of what he was up against and turned away for a brief moment, trying to gather his thoughts and keep his composure. He had to remember, after all, that Danzo had a desire to kill Asahi, Honoka, and all the most important people of Azura in an effort to claim the throne of Azura and rule it under his own vision.

"Of course, you know that there is a good chance you might testify on the stand," remarked Phoenix, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a cigarette, lighting it as he walked over to the open window. "Excuse me for a moment, Your Majesty."

"Do what you have to do, Phoenix," said Asahi, waiting patiently while Phoenix puffed smoke out into the daytime sky. "This is a difficult time for all of us, and we all must cope in our own ways."

Asahi felt his spine tingle slightly at the thought of how Danzo's plans for Azura were so sinister and so wrong. Still, he set about trying to go through the pages of evidence that was to be used against Danzo. Phoenix eventually stopped smoking and went back over to his superior.

"Hmm. It seems to me that all the evidence appears to be in order," he concluded, turning his attention away from the papers and looking back up at Phoenix. "It is very obvious that you and your office have enough evidence to secure convictions for all the accused. However, we must be aware of the threat that hangs over Kimon City while this trial is going on."

"I completely agree," responded Phoenix. "I propose Judge Hanzo Tanaka provide additional security measures around Kimon City. We must make sure that the witnesses for the prosecution are given the highest orders of protection at all times, in case any of Danzo's associates attempt to disrupt the trial. If you will excuse me, Your Majesty, I will go down to his office and have him carry out the necessary security measures required."

Then Asahi felt that he needed to say his peace, something that he felt needed to be done. No sooner did Phoenix bow to him and turn to leave did he say his peace.

"Wait, Phoenix," he said, stopping him in his tracks and causing him to face him once again. "I would like to testify at the trial."

Phoenix was astonished to hear this come out of his superior's mouth.

"Your Majesty, I... Are you sure that you want to do this?" he asked. "You are aware that..."

"I am aware, Phoenix," interrupted Asahi, rising to his feet. "I need to do this, for you must also be aware of the fact that I was a target for assassination. Both myself and Honoka."

Although it was against his better judgment, Phoenix had no choice but to honor Asahi's request, despite the fact that he had his objections over such a request.

"You must let me do this, Phoenix," he pleaded. "Yes, it would make both me and Honoka vulnerable, but it must be done."

Phoenix was conflicted as to how he was going to respond to this question, but he finally came around after a few minutes of complete and utter silence.

"Very well, Your Majesty," he sighed. "I will let you tell your story to the jury and notify Judge Tanaka that you wish to be on the witness stand."

With those words, Phoenix grabbed his suitcase and bowed to Asahi one last time before walking out of the doors of Asahi's quarters. Now Asahi was alone, eager to do his part to end Danzo's reign of terror once and for all. He was the one who captured him and his associates in Konohagakure and now was going to reveal to all of Azura what Danzo had tried to do to both him and Honoka.

At that very moment, a poof of smoke came down through the fireplace and a scroll emerged in front of Asahi, who opened it and read it aloud to himself.

"Dear Asahi,

I will be in Kimon City tomorrow and will focus on helping the woman you saved on finding a better man to spend the rest of her life with. As the Princess of Love, I will not tolerate people who abuse their love for one another for evil purposes, whether it would be for themselves or for their superiors. See you very soon!

Your loving friend,
Barbara Millicent Roberts."

Putting the scroll down next to the documentation of the accused, Asahi rose to his feet and sought out Sakura. But just as he left his chambers, Asahi saw Honoka walking towards him. However, Asahi noticed his wife had a distressed look on her face.

"Honoka, what's wrong?" asked Asahi worriedly.

"I saw the Attorney General walking past me," answered Honoka. "He says you wish to testify at the trial of Danzo and his associates. Well, I said to him that I wish to testify as well, my love."

"No, Honoka," Asahi said firmly, trying to look out for his wife's well-being. "I don't want you to have any more stress..."

"Asahi!" interrupted Honoka sharply. "I must testify at the trial as well. My testimony will help end Danzo's reign of terror just as much as your testimony will. Please, you must let me do so."

Asahi stood there and could only wonder how to honor such a request.