Epilogue: The Love of a Greyscale Soul

"There were many things surrounding me that could have been described as being beautiful, astonishing, eye catching and so on but, no matter how much I tried to see, I could never reach beyond the wall I had created for myself.

Why couldn't I see colors? I had asked myself that many times. I even started to believe that there was something wrong with me, that I didn't fit into our world like everyone else.

It took me a lot of time to realize that, in fact, there wasn't anything wrong with me. I only accepted the truth after meeting you.

Our world's happiness wasn't about the colors we could see but about what we could feel. It took me long to realize that, even in my happiest moments, I couldn't enjoy my happiness because I was restricted by my sight.

So, I ask you now, to close your eyes and see. See the world as it is, not as you want it to be. See the birds and their amazing songs, see the laughter of the children around us, see the breeze of air caressing your skin.

For seeing was never meant to be only about the eyes."

Jeongguk closes the book, a smile still present on his face as he admires the cover. The skyline reminds him of the countless days he and Taehyung had spent admiring the world, their world.

From next to him, Taehyung chuckles brightly. "You keep reading it and it makes me nervous."

With a smile on his face and a heart filled with love, Jeongguk turns towards his lover, still smiling. Taehyung's eyes are sparkling and his cheeks are a little flushed, both from embarrassment and exhaustion.

"I absolutely adore it." Jeongguk says, pressing his lips to his boyfriend's cheek. "I'll never stop reading it. You made me see, Taehyung. You made me, and probably many other people, realize that there's much more to this world than colors. You made me realize that happiness and love can overcome any boundary, even our sight."

Taehyung smiles, hiding his face in Jeongguk's chest once again, which makes the writer smile fondly at him. It's been a few months ever since Taehyung published his book, ever since both of them had been able to see colors normally. The hues around them no longer faded and they didn't become more saturated either. It was a constant, a constant of happiness, love and warmth that they both embraced.

Jeongguk, after realizing that what they had was unique, had searched for other people like them. He had managed to find some and, after talking to them, he came to the conclusion that what they had wasn't only unique, but pure as well.

All the other people who could see color as a constant had met their loved ones. They all described that the bond between them and their partners was deeper than anything could ever imagine so Jeongguk came to the conclusion that the restriction of color in their world wasn't a measurement tool.

It wasn't supposed to measure how happy a person was because, even while seeing grey all around him, Jeongguk had still been the happiest next to Taehyung. No, the color restriction in their world was a guide.

A path that was supposed to teach them how to see, how to appreciate the world more.

And, like all roads, it had a destination. In each case Jeongguk has found, the final destination was meeting the person you loved the most. Only then, after realizing that colors weren't the ones restricting one's happiness, but people themselves, would someone be able to find their constant.

Taehyung and Jeongguk, during their past few months, had been telling people about their experience, making sure that everyone knew the truth about their world, about what they had to do.

They all had to walk their paths, even if they were rough, filled with storms and greyscale hues, even if they were filled with despair and pain. At the end, there would always be light waiting for them all, light that would help them find a constant.

you showed me the beauty of life
through your words and warmth
when i knew i could never live
through all of this, alone.

you appeared ahead of me
filled with kindness and light
took my hand and taught me
how to survive

you were
what they call, salvation,
and God knows how much
i wished and desired
for you to be mine as well
and save me from..

***

you were my beginning
and i  seemed to be your end
but our roads were always meant
to collide

you took my hand and
dragged me
into the world i thought
i knew
saved me

and then you showed me
how a monochromatic soul
loved

and you filled me
with your
greyscale hues

to the point that
any other shades

red or blue
crimson or azure

did not
satisfy me anymore

because all i knew
after meeting you
was the love
of your greyscale warmth

***

as the world fell beneath our feet
and the sky we loved lost its color
i watched it all,
pale hands covering my eyes
i watched it happen,
for not only the eyes can see
and, as it all collapsed,
not in destruction, but in rebirth,
i realized that there's more
to it, the world,
to us,

hidden deeply, inside of mazes,
behind strong walls

there are souls.

***

So these are Taehyung's poems. I think that after reading them you'll understand the story better

Anyhow a small explanatory note: Taehyung realized that colors couldn't measure their happiness so he found his constant (he saw colors all the time) and then shared his emotions through that book which helped Jeongguk realized that as well (even if he somehow knew)

That's why when they met again in the last chapter Jeongguk was able to see colors

I don't know if I got my point across with this book but I managed to portray the idea I had a little bit so I'm content even if I ended it roughly (I have no inspo left anymore)

If you have questions make sure to leave them here and I'll answer

Thanks for reading, I enjoyed writing this messy thing