NINE

—ASSIDUOUS—

ASSIDUOUS

STEVE SLOWLY STEPPED out of the bus, Irina and Dustin closing the doors behind him before rushing to the window to get a view. Steve had his bat ready and whistled a little to try and get the attention of the creature. He could hear the growls but couldn't place a location.

"Come on, buddy." He called out before whistling some more and swinging his bat slightly.

Inside the bus, Max rushed down the ladder in fear for Steve's life.

"What's he doing?!" She exclaimed.

"Expanding the menu." Dustin responded and glanced over at Irina, who had a face full of worry.

"He's gonna be okay, you know that, right?" He asked, placing a comforting hand on Irina's shoulder.

"I really hope you're right." She mumbled.

"He's insane." Max said.

"He's awesome." Dustin corrected her.

Outside, Steve still hadn't placed where exactly the growling was coming from yet.

"Come on, buddy. Come on. Dinner time." He taunted. "Human tastes better than cat, I promise." He added as the growl approached him. Dart emerged from the fog, looking a little bigger than he previously had, but Steve readied his bat anyway. However, from on top of the bus, Lucas spotted another creature approaching from behind Steve.

"Steve! Watch out!" He yelled.

"Little busy here!" Steve replied.

"Three o'clock! Three o'clock!" Lucas warned and Steve turned for a second to see the other creature approaching, when yet another popped up from behind a car. Irina's eyes widened when she saw how many there were.

"Steve! Abort! Abort!" Dustin yelled, flinging the doors open, but one of the creatures had launched itself at him and Steve rolled over a car bonnet to avoid being eaten.

"Черт, нет (shit, no)." Irina hissed and decided it was time to use the gun she had tucked away from earlier. She pulled it out of the back of her jeans and cocked it, heading over to the door.

"Move." She muttered to Dustin, who widened his eyes when he saw the weapon in Irina's hand.

"Holy shit! Where did you get that?!" He exclaimed.

"Is that real?!" Max questioned in shock.

"Why don't we find out." Irina stated and fired two shots, successfully hitting two creatures. From outside, Steve's eyes widened when he heard the bang of a gun, but his mouth fell agape when we saw Irina stood there with the gun in her hand. He smacked another creature out of his way before bolting for the door. Dustin and Max slammed the doors behind him and Lucas came down from the roof.