Vol.12 Ch.32: Ben's Betrayal

The score was 19-17. Lars's team was one 2-pointer away from driving it home and teaching the bullies a lesson. However...

"By the way," Mike spoke up. "Do you know there's a special rule about winning in a 3v3 game?"

"What rule?" Kai borrowed her eyes.

"You can't win the game with a 2-pointer," Mike explained. "The final point has to be a 1-pointer."

"Huh." Kai frowned. So lame. He feels cornered so he's grasping at anything he can to get an advantage.

Unfortunately, the rule he talked about really existed. It wasn't used in all variations of 3v3, but it was popular in some. It was an odd rule that Kai never paid much heed to before, but right now it was critical.

At 19 points, a 2-pointer was exactly what the team needed to win. On top of that, they had the right man for the job, the godlike basket sniper. Alas, Mike was trying to deny that easy winning option. What a scumbag.

"You should've mentioned it earlier," Kai argued. "It's lame to start changing rules now."

"I'm not changing anything," Mike insisted. "We never said we're not using that rule. At least, on our side, we knew that rule was in place all along, right guys?"

"Yep!" James nodded.

"Totally," Larry agreed.

Their acting is so bad... Kai made a face. It was clear those two never gave this rule any thought until now. It was all Mike's doing, but of course, the goons supported the godfather.

This is unfair. Kai ranted. Who does he think he is, coming up with new rules on the fly? There should be a limit to how much of a scumbag you can be. I won't stand for this!

"Okay," Lars agreed without hesitation.

"Wha!?" Kai jumped. "Wait, what are you-"

"So," Lars continued. "If I score from afar now, what gonna happen? Will it count as one point?"

"No, you won't get anything," Mike stated matter-of-factly.

"Say what?" Kai objected. "That's plain dumb."

"There are many variations to this rule, but I like this one the best. It forces the end-game to be close to the basket. That's the more fun, don't you think?"

"More 'fun'? You're just trying to make things easier for yourself, aren't you?"

"Hmph." Mike ignored the comment with a sneer. He clearly had no intention of discussing this with Kai. His gaze was wholly concentrated on Lars, demanding a reply from the team's true leader.

He doesn't even register me. Kai clicked her tongue. Her fists itched to punch the hell outta that bastard, but this wasn't the time to lose her cool. That'll just be playing into the bastard's hand.

Instead of arguing with the cunning bastard, it was best to convince the "captain" of the team to reject that rule. "Lars, we shouldn't agree to-"

"Okay," Lars accepted without hesitation.

"Wha-!?" Kai jumped. "Wait, but...!"

"It's okay." Lars flashed his teeth. "The rule gonna apply to them too, so it's all fair."

"Yeah, but still...!" Don't you get it!? It'll put us at more disadvantage! No, of course he gets it. But then, why is he smiling like it's nothing!?

There was only one explanation: Lars was confident. Even with his 2-pointers sealed, he was confident about beating Mike's team.

That confidence is sure on another level. These guys aren't exactly pushovers. Kai sighed. Okay, fine. Let's roll with it. We got the lead right now so we just have to score two more times. We can win this.