Part 6 - Jamie and Aric

"What do you mean, no?"

"I mean, I've told the police everything I know." Anastacia responded to Jamie's question.

"But the police aren't us." Jamie said. "We know things they don't."

"Like what?" She asked quickly.

Jamie's face turned blank as he looked to Lottie and Kate for help, but they were also clueless. "Err, we know about...you and Saskia."

Anastacia shuffled uncomfortably.

"She wants to see you, y'know." Lottie blurted out. "That's all she's said all summer. That she wants to speak to you."

"I don't have anything to say to her."

"Of course you do. You were in love. And you still are."

Anastacia's face hardened and her glare turned colder. "I told you that I don't want to talk. Now leave me alone."

And with a flick of her hair she left the three of them alone.

"Well that went well." Kate said as they watched her go off into the distance.

____________________

Jamie's POV

I was sure there was something strange about Aric. Kate knew that I was suspicious of him; I could tell. But she didn't know that I had found the letter he sent her before school started.
There was something about it that I couldn't put my finger on.

I'd also caught him looking through Raphael's things when I went to find him in his room. He'd played it off like he'd lost something, but being a Partizan he could have thought of a better excuse than that.

As the first couple of months of school dragged on, we settled into our electives and various clubs and it was one evening on the 1st November when Lottie had an idea.

We were all sat in the Ivy library when Kate and Aric came up to us laughing about something or other, and I saw Raphael glaring at him which I mirrored at Aric but more discreetly. They'd been spending a lot of time together recently; it was strange.

"What's going on?" Aric said, still smiling.

"Nothing. We're just talking." Ellie replied, her voice slightly cold.

I'd noticed on numerous occasions where the mood of the room had dropped when Aric entered.

"Not about us I hope." Kate replied, but her smile disappeared when no one responded straight away. "Ellie?"

"Of course not." Ellie replied with a smile that looked slightly false.

No one else spoke up at first, then Lottie plucked up the courage to break the silence. "I was just reminding everyone about bonfire night."

"Oh, sounds fun. When is it?" Aric asked to which Raphael rolled his eyes.

"Err, on bonfire night?" He replied, which earned him a kick in the shin from Kate.

"Well be there." She said. And that's when everything started to go wrong.