Chapter Four: One More Thing

"Fucking knew it."

His words felt venomous as he spat them out, cocking his head to the side as his eyes narrowed toward the girl while sapphire flames erupted from his hands. There it was, that look of fear in her eye again. It only seemed to come out when the flames did. Yet still, she hesitantly took a step toward the man, even as flames began to surge from his fingertips. Even as her heart began to pound against her chest, she reached a hand out to his, wincing in pain once making contact and ripping her hand away from his. Dabi didn't even blink.

"Fucking knew you knew something." He seethed, the flames beginning to burn brighter and bigger. "So tell me, who sent you?"

"Dabi, you're going to start a fire!" Akari shouted at him, trying again to reach her hand to stop him, but only burning herself in the process. "Stop it! You're freaking me out!"

"Quit playing dumb with me!" He was screaming now, azure fire covering his entire body, wind catching it and carrying it to the nearest flower. "Tell me what you know, or I'm going to kill you."

That's when things really turned from bad to worse. Navy flames danced across the field of flowers in it's own sick and twisted way. The wind that pushed through the air only carried it further. It was like a domino effect, one by one the flowers infected one another until Akari was on her knees, tears streaming down her face, staring up helpless while grasping onto her burnt hand. When she tried to heal it, he only screamed more. She wasn't sure what he was going on about, all she knew is that it was starting to become hard to breathe. A rough cough escaped her lips as the flames grew higher.

"Dabi, please." She pleaded, an innocent glint in her eye as she gazed at him. "This isn't you."

"Fuck."

He screamed those words too, halting the flames that erupted from his skin, but he knew it was far too late to stop the surrounding ones. With a couple more coughs escaping her lips, Dabi scooped the girl into his arms and made a break for the car, trying to cover her body with his own as much as he could. There was no stopping the spread. In less than an hour, this sunflower field would seize to exist. Nothing but ashes and soot to remain.
Tossing her into the backseat, he had no time for being careful. In less than an hour, sure, this field wouldn't exist. Even faster than that though, cops would be arriving. Firefighters at the very least. An investigation. He had to get them out of there as fast as possible. He didn't want to risk getting caught, even more so, didn't want to risk her getting caught with him. Putting the car into drive, the man sped off, tire's spun against the dirt for a moment before he was off.

"What the hell was that?" Akari spat out to the man while trying her best to breathe properly. "One minute you're fine, the next covering an entire field of flowers in flames. We can't leave it burning, what if somebody gets hurt?"

"Well, we can't stay there either. Take your pick." He huffed back, the gas pedal reaching the floor. "Return to the scene of the crime that prohibited trespassing anyway and get caught, or get the fuck out of there before the cops show up?"

"Can you at least stop driving like a maniac?" She cried out in defeat, desperately digging in her center console. "It's already hard to breathe, you're just adding to the anxiety."

"Relax, doll. It's almost over." He stated, taking a sharp turn before parking at her apartment complex. "See, wasn't so bad, was it?"

"Says you." Her eyes narrowed at him as she pulled an inhaler from the console, pushing the top down and taking a deep breath in before exhaling slowly. "Thought I was going to die out there."