Chapter 21 - Daffodils

3rd Person's POV

Sadem leaves Himoko's room and heads to roam the hallways. He releases a soft breath of relief, 'Thank goodness everything turned out well...' He pauses, his ear twitching when he hears footsteps come from behind. He turns, blinking in surprise. "Agent Fai."

"The Earth King has requested to speak with you." Stated Agent Fai, green eyes light and airy. Sadem studies his body language for a moment before agreeing with a nod. He follows Agent Fai down the hall towards the Throne Room, keeping himself on guard. Long Feng may have been imprisoned, but that doesn't mean that the Dai Li shifted their true loyalty to the Earth King within a flash. He knows how they all operate. Long Feng came first, Earth Kingdom second, and then the Earth King. The Earth King was a mere puppet for the Dai Li and Long Feng to use as a toy to get what they wanted.

But, Agent Fai never really showed any ill intentions towards Sadem, even calling him by his true name and not just 'Agent' as the others do. Even then, he couldn't allow his guard to be lowered. He knows that the agents were very meticulous towards inner relationships outside of the job and within the job. It's what they were trained to be attuned to.

They could very well be using Agent Fai's presence as a wolf in sheep's clothing to get Sadem's guard down to be jumped and taken away.

Sadem scratches the area under his ear as they walked up to the large door leading into the throne room. Agent Fai nods down at Sadem and then to the guards, having them open the double doors. Sadem bows his head towards Agent Fai, making his way into the room. The doors close behind him.

King Kuei sits on his throne, Basco laying at his feet peacefully. He seemed to be in deep thought.

"I was notified that you requested for my presence, Your Majesty?" Sadem's voice pulls Kuei out of his thoughts, the Earth King clearing his throat with a small nod. "Uh I- Yes I did. Apologies for not immediately greeting you, it has been a long day."

"No problem, Your Majesty. I understand." Kuei sits up in his seat, adjusting his position to sit taller, back straightened out against the hard surface of the throne's back.

"I called you today to speak on what transpired today, and all that I managed to learn thus far on what Long Feng has been doing behind my back."

"What do you need to know from me?"

"Were you aware of...this brainwashing situation?" Sadem thinks for a moment before answering, "I have only known about it since Princess Himoko began researching on what was happening with the citizens' sudden memory problems about the war. I didn't really believe in it until I myself went to Lake Laogai and witnessed it first hand."

"Witness it? From who?"

"A boy, around the same age as Princess Himoko, named Jet was brainwashed. I watched him go from being a totally normal kid into a weapon controlled by Long Feng. It was a horrifying sight, to say the least." King Kuei hums in acknowledgment, "You never went to Lake Laogai before then?"

"I never went underground. I don't know the extent of all of the agents who participated in the brainwashing." Sadem answers honestly, "I apologize for not paying attention to the details of who all was present today down there." The royal waves his hand, gesturing that he wouldn't hold it against him. "Our minds are spectacular things, a memory like no other mammals walking upon this earth. Perhaps if I were to gather all of the Dai Li Agents currently located in the city, you would be able to pick out who was there at Lake Laogai today." Sadem shrugs, "I mean I guess that could work out, but no promises though."