Chapter 9 - Drowned

3rd Person's POV

The spectre blinked, water dripping off her eyelashes with the movement.

"It is true then, you can see us." Spoke the spectre, a waver and shiver as if she was cold in her voice.

"Sadly I am able to. No offense."

"None taken, milady." 'Milady? That's new.' Usually Sokka would call her that to tease her, but never formally like how the spectre just did.

"I am Eren, I passed away a few months ago from this world." Himoko grimaced, thinking back on what she was doing a few months ago. Safe, practicing her bending, learning from Karlie, spending time with King Bumi- During that time, this 'Eren' was losing her life.

"I apologize that you lost your life."

"I have come to terms with it. If I had done things differently, things would have ended up the same way eventually." Himoko frowned at Eren, "Are you able to elaborate?"

"I am, milady. My death happened outside of the city, but my body was carried into the city through the water tunnels used for refugees underground. So my spirit was carried here. I will not be able to properly rest until the same thing that happened to me, doesn't happen to anyone else."

"What happened to you? And how does that tie in with me?" Eren smiled softly, moving the rest of her body away from the bookcase, showing off the spots of her body where water fungi began growing.

"I was murdered at the hands of the city officials. Because I refused to stay quiet after the fuzziness left my mind and I was finally able to coherently think for myself again. I began spreading the word, but every time I would tell someone, they would wind up mysteriously dead or just disappeared." Himoko furrowed her brows, knowing what the spectre was speaking of, 'Seren told me about family and friends going missing out of nowhere, and no one acknowledging it except her.' Himoko thought in recollection.

"Soon enough, the passing of words lead back to me, and I was punished for it. They tried to... Make me forget again, but my brain having already been through that, combated against it. I was a lost cause, a lost tool to use, they couldn't keep me in their custody, so, they got rid of me however they saw fit. When I first woke up, I saw that I was near a body of water. I was tossed in, rocks and stones anchoring me down. I never learned how to swim when I was alive, so it was easy for me to die in such a way. I went to sleep in the Mortal World, and woke up as dead in the Spirit World. But soon, I was given a chance to come back."

"How so?" Questioned the Earth Princess.

"Any form of Spirit is given a chance, to stay in the Spirit World, or to linger in the Mortal World to do what we could never get to when we were alive."

"When you were alive... Y- You were working towards exposing what has been having in the city, so that's what ties you here." Eren nodded, a small "Yes." passing her stark blue lips.

"So... You need my help in exposing whatever is going on in this city."

"Yes. When I was still alive I never would have thought to come to someone like you, just in case you were in on the dirty deeds of the city officials. However- Now that you are our Adversary, and I am just a spirit of a girl wanting the best for her city... I can put more of my trust into you."

"I apologize for interrupting, but your time is running short with her. Adversary Himoko, do you agree to help this lone Spectre?" Yangchen's voice rang in Himoko's ear. Himoko glanced back, spotting the small twitch of Sadem's hand as the frozen effect began slipping away. She nodded, returning her focus to Eren. 'I am already in the process of investigating what is happening within the city, helping Eren will only be beneficial to both me and her.' She thought to herself as she came to the decision.