Groceries

A soft ring came from the front of the store. The cashier looked up at the door. She leaned to the right to look around the shelves.

A young man wearing a multicolored cardigan and patterned pajama pants walked into the store. The cashier smiled, "Good morning Elijah."

She opened the small door on the counter and walked over. Elijah turned to her and smiled.

The cashier held a plastic bag filled with groceries. She handed it to Elijah.

"Thank you Kim," Elijah mumbled. He took the bag, his movements slow. He reached into the pocket of his cardigan and pulled out a few ten and five dollar bills. He handed the money to Kim. She took it, counted it, and handed back one.

"You're five dollars over," Kim held the money out.

Elijah shook his head. "Keep it," He smiled and looked at the bag. "You always get my groceries arranged for me. It's the least I could do. I wish I could give you more." Kim sighed.

"You're too nice Elijah," Kim looked down at Elijah's shoes. They were a soft gray, covered in small doodles of flowers, hearts, and smiley faces. "Take care of yourself."

The two said their goodbyes and Elijah left. He walked down the busy street, cars zipping past and people walking to work.

Elijah walked past a small shop. He walked inside, the smell of alcohol and cigarettes filled the air. Elijah scrunched his nose and walked towards a shelf with medication. He scanned the shelves for a small blue and red box. He sighed and whispered to himself, "They're all out."

A man with a small name tag walked up to Elijah with a cigarette in his mouth. The man took it out and let out a small puff of smoke.

"Whatcha looking for?" The man asked with a deep voice. Elijah stepped away a little and looked down.

"Advil or some sort of painkiller." Elijah mumbled. The employee nodded and looked over the shelves.

"What about some drugs? That'll do the trick," The man laughed. Elijah nervously laughed as well. The man grabbed a random medication from the shelf and tossed it to Elijah. "Try this. I'll be at the counter." The man walked away.

Elijah rolled his eyes and looked at the small bottle.

Kids Vitamin Gummies

Elijah sighed and put it back on the shelf. He looked over at the counter and saw the man lighting another cigarette.

Elijah walked past the counter to leave.

"Ay! Shoplifting's illegal you know?" The man called, leaning over the counter to look at the young man. Elijah shook his head.

"I'm not getting anything." Elijah faced away from the man but felt him roll his eyes

"I thought you wanted painkillers."

"You don't have the one I want," The man scoffed. Elijah reached for the door. The man grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"You don't leave till you buy something," Elijah cringed at the smell of cigarettes and beer from the man's breath. The man let go and stood in front of the door.

Elijah turned and grabbed the first thing he saw from the counter. He held it out.

"I'll get this," Elijah said, a small bag of M&M's in his hand. The man took it and walked back over to the counter. Elijah handed the man a five dollar bill and waited.

The man put the money in the register and gave Elijah the candy.

"Ahem," Elijah stared at the man. "My change?"

"I don't give change to people with attitudes." The man leaned on the counter and blew smoke into the young man's face. Elijah scoffed and grabbed something else from the counter to make up for the money.

He quickly left the store, the man yelling at him as he left. Elijah walked for a bit before looking at what he'd grabbed. It was a pen. He sighed and put the pen in the plastic bag along with the candy.

-

Elijah walked up a staircase to a row of rooms. He walked to the end and pulled out a key. He opened the door and flicked a switch. The light flickered on, giving the room a yellowish tint.

Elijah put the groceries away. He suddenly stopped and bent over on the counter, holding his chest.

He went to the bathroom, leaning on the wall for support. He frantically opened the medicine cabinet and pulled things out. He pulled out an orange bottle and quickly opened it. He tipped it over, a single pill falling into his hand.

He took the pill and threw the empty bottle on the floor in frustration. He leaned against the wall and slid down it, wrapping his arms around myself.

He sat there for a moment, his breath weak. There was a faint beeping from the other room.

Elijah wearily stood up and walked into his bedroom. An alarm clock flashed bright red numbers from his nightstand. He turned it off and looked out the window.

"6 o'clock already?" He mumbled to himself. "I swear it was only 4:30 a few minutes ago." He looked towards the kitchen.

"I'm not hungry anyways," He sat on his bed and kicked off his shoes. After laying down, Elijah turned the little knob on the lamp next to his bed, turning it off.