Pajama Pants

I walked down the sidewalk towards the center of town. The streets are chaotic in the city this time of day.

Cars honked, people walked past on the phone, sirens were heard in the distance, you couldn't get away from the noise.

I've always wanted to live in the country, but I don't have nearly enough money to move.

I walked into the pharmacy, the cool air hitting my face as I opened the door. I wandered around for a while. There weren't that many people in the store.

I got to the back of the store and saw a man, younger than me, dressed in colorful clothes. He was talking to the pharmacist behind the counter.

I couldn't hear what he was saying but I was so focused on his clothing. His multi-colored cardigan was the most eye-catching. His baggy pajama pants caught my attention as well. There were red, white, and blue fireworks with a black background on them.

I forgot that it was July. Who wears long pajama pants in July though? I guess I have no room to talk about it, considering I was wearing a black sweat shirt and jeans.

I moved a little closer to hear what he was saying. I tried my best to not look like I was eavesdropping, so I got in line behind him to look like I was going to get something.

"It only expired yesterday! Can't you just give me one more refill?" He pleaded. He held an empty medicine bottle. The pharmacist shook their head.

"I can't give you another without a doctor's permission," They took out a notepad and pen. "But I could call your doctor if you need. What's their number?" The man sighed and looked down.

"Forget it," He turned and began walking away. "Stupid cough was supposed to be gone by now." He left mumbling to himself. I watched him leave and ran after him. The person is interesting, I want to know more about him.

I left the store and saw him walking down the street towards a smaller store. I ran up next to him.

"Hi there," He didn't turn to me. "I like your cardigan." He glanced at me and stopped.

"Who are you?" He asked. I smiled,

"I'm Alex," I held my hand out. He looked at my hand then back up at my face. He seemed confused.

"Nice to meet you," He shook my hand and began walking away. "Now leave me alone please." I ran up next to him again.

"What's your name?" I asked. He stopped again and looked at me annoyed.

"Are you trying to sell me something?" He scoffed. I shook my head.

"I just wanted to-"

"Listen, whatever petition you have, I'm not signing it." He walked off. I stood there and sighed.

I began walking the opposite way towards a liquor store. I went to the back of the store where there were three fridges. I looked through the glass doors and opened the middle one.

I pulled out a box filled with cans. I brought it to the front and placed it on the counter. The cashier looked up from his phone.

"Morning Alex," He muttered sitting up right.

"Good morning to you too, Charlie." He scanned the barcode on top of the box.

"ID please," I sighed and pulled my ID out of my back pocket.

"You see me all the time. Why do I have to do this every single time?"

"It's the law," Charlie held his hand out. I gave him my ID and money. He counted the money and put it in the cash register. "Here you are." He handed me my ID and I put it back in my pocket.

He reached behind the counter and tossed a pack of cigarettes next to the box.

"Your usual," Charlie said, leaning back into his chair.

"Thanks," I left and brought everything back to my apartment.

As I walked up the stairs, I saw the young man from earlier unlocking his door. I stared at him for a moment before going to the floor above him. I went to the end of the hall and opened the door.

I kicked my shoes off and put the box on the table and grabbed the cigarettes from on top of it. I took off the seal and took one out.

The window in my bedroom leads to the fire escape, so I went out onto the platform and lit the cigarette.

I stared at the busy city below me. Suddenly, I heard a beeping. I noticed the window below me was open. Inside, an alarm clock beeped.

The man walked over to it and turned it off. He rubbed his temple and sighed before walking away.

I can't believe it. This interesting man had been living below me and I had no idea. I guess I never noticed him.

I suddenly heard coughing. It sounded harsh. That must be the cough he was talking about.

"Sh!t!" I heard the man groan, his voice a little shaky. "I just cleaned the goddamn tile." I crouched down and could see into his apartment slightly.

There was some kind of dark liquid splattered on his hand and the tiled floor in his kitchen. There was a pot sitting on the stove with steam coming off it, must be making dinner.

 I let out a puff of smoke and looked back up at the sky. I stood up and grinded the cigarette into an ashtray sitting on my nightstand before climbing back inside.