Colorful

Alex's POV

Elijah walked out of his room, Cereal by his feet. I looked up from my breakfast to look at him. He sat down next to me after filling Cereal's bowl.

"You were really tired, huh?" I laughed. He nodded, his head hanging down a little.

"It's 7am. What are you doing up?" Elijah asked quietly.

"I got a job," I picked up my plate and put it in the sink. I looked around the apartment. It was a bit messy. "Don't touch anything, ok? No. Cleaning." Elijah rolled his eyes.

"But it's trashed," He mumbled looking around.

"No it's not," I went over to the door and put my jacket on. "And I'LL clean it once I get back." I saw Elijah stick his tongue out at me before closing the door.

Elijah's POV

I feel something rub against my leg. I looked down at Cereal, rubbing his side against me. I bent down and picked him up.

I looked around the apartment again. Cereal meowed softly.

"I know," I scratched his head. "He's messy." I put Cereal down and went over to the sink. I washed all the dishes that were in it and placed them on a mat to dry.

While I waited for those to dry, I went over to the closet. I grabbed a broom and dustpan to sweep up the cat hair.

I tidied up the whole apartment with time to spare. I never used to clean as much as I do now. Since I got sick, I always thought that my random breathing attacks were caused by dust or something like that.

It also gave me something to distract myself with. I went over to the fridge to get something to drink.

When I opened it, a few beer bottles sat on the top shelf. I sighed and grabbed a pitcher filled with water. Alex's ways of coping bother me. It's harming him more than helping. I just worry about what he'd do if I died.

I put the pitcher back and sat on the couch with Cereal. There was a TV on the table against the wall. I grabbed the remote and flipped through the channels until finding something interesting.

After a while, I got bored and went into the bathroom. The sink was a bit messy as well, so I cleaned it up. I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was a mess, but I didn't bother to brush it. Doing that would just make it fall out faster.

I heard footsteps. I turned to Alex, standing in the doorway. He gave me a sad smile. I looked back at the mirror.

"I know you're upset about your hair falling out," Alex sighed. "But why don't you get it over with?" He took out an electric razor.

"Besides, I have a surprise for you," He left the bathroom and came back with a plastic bag. "I bought you a bunch of fun colored wigs!" He pulled some out. There were a lot of colors and styles.

"Fine," I smiled.

ˇ°—•<3•—°ˇ

Alex brought in a chair for me to sit on, facing the mirror. But I soon had my face buried in my knees. I didn't want to watch. I didn't feel comfortable with it all, but waiting and watching my hair fall out over the days would hurt more.

I heard the razor turn off. "Done," Alex mumbled. He rubbed my shoulder to get me to look up.

Alex walked away and came back. He put a baseball cap on my head, I still didn't look up.

I heard the razor turn on again. I waited to feel it against my head again, thinking Alex missed a spot. But I didn't feel anything.

I finally looked up and saw Alex shaving his own head in the corner of the mirror. I felt a few tears build up in my eyes. I turned to him and smiled. He turned the razor off again.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him. We both stayed like that for a minute. I let go and Alex grabbed the bag.

"Which color do you want to try on first?"

ˇ°—•<3•—°ˇ

Alex went into my room and came back with my cardigan. I looked at myself in the mirror. The wig I had on was a light shade of purple. It parted to the side and went down into my face. I styled it to keep it out of my eyes.

I put on my cardigan and we left. We got into the car and Alex drove towards the park. He parked and we got out. He brought me over to a bench that faced the sunset.

"How pretty," I whispered. Alex wrapped one of his arms around me, resting his hand on my shoulder.

"It's almost fall," Alex looked at the trees. "We should go out and get you some fall themed pajama pants." I laughed a little.

"You think I don't already have some?" Alex laughed as well. I smiled. "I'll have to wear the orange wig for Halloween and the brown one for Thanksgiving."

"Brown? But that's too boring!"

"Do you want me to wear the bright red one?"

"Alright fine, brown." He laughed. I looked back at the sunset and leaned my head on his shoulder.