Old lady

"You learn that both your son and your daughter have been kidnapped. You will only be able to rescue one of them. Choose one for your son, and two for your daughter." The woman said, holding up the numbers on her hand. Leorio gritted his teeth together and I watched him pick up a long wooden stick that was leaning against a wall. I looked at Kurapika, who was looking at me as well.

'I know.' I mouthed to him. He smiled and nodded, before turning his attention back to Leorio. His eyes widened when he saw Leorio holding the weapon. When she finished counting and announced time was up, Leorio jumped in the air. He yelled as he tried to bring his stick down on the elder woman's face, but Kurapika stopped him in time. I let out a sigh in relief, even though I knew it would happen it still scared me a bit.

"Out of the way Kurapika! This old hag needs to be taught a lesson and I'm gonna make sure she gets it!" Leorio exclaimed, trying to break through Kurapika's nunchakus.

"Would you please calm down!" Kurapika yelled back.

   "How the hell do you expect me to calm down?" Leorio shot back in the younger male's face.

   "We got it right! Do you really want to jeopardize that?" After Kurapika's explanation he asked if this was the path to the exam.

"That is correct. The real path is right over here." The old lady got up and opened two doors next to where she was sitting. "Follow this path for two hours and you reach the lone Cedar Tree." She explained briefly.

   "Okay, I was not expecting this." Leorio said, looking like a dumbfounded puppy dog.

"There's a couple under that tree that'll serve as your guide, they'll take you to the exam site. If you live up to their expectations, that is." The woman said.

   "Please forgive me for being rude." Leorio dropped his stick and bowed slightly.

"Don't be, I don't mind at all. Meeting people like you is the only reason I do this job in the first place." She turned around and faced Leorio. "Do your best, become the best hunter you can be." She smiled at him.

"Sure." He chuckled, rubbing the back of his head. He glanced back at me and I was staring at him. He flashed me a toothy grin and I rolled my eyes.

   OH MY GOSH HE IS SO CUTE!

Gon groaning took me out of my thoughts and I looked at the small boy who had his hand resting on his chin. "I'm stuck, I can't figure out the right answer." Gon said, causing Leorio and Kurapika to laugh. I helped him off the ground as Leorio spoke.

"You've really been thinking of an answer this whole time, you can stop now. The quiz is over ya know." Leorio said.

"I know that, but what if... you know, what if that really happens to me someday. If two people are in trouble and I can only help one of them, then what? It wouldn't be right to pick one over the other." It was a moment of awkward silence. "But like it or not, that's a choice I might have to make. I just hope that I know what to do." Gon said.

I pondered over his words for a moment. When I was home I only thought about it briefly, but now that I was here, I had to wonder what I'd do if I was in that situation.

"C'mon no need to worry about that now, we need to head to the cedar tree." I grabbed his hand and started to lead him through the tunnel. Kurapika and Leorio paused for a moment, before chasing after us.

"Hey! Y/n, Gon! Wait up!" Leorio exclaimed. I slowed down my pace slightly and he ran to my side.

"Hey guys, you can go ahead of me. I'm a bit slower so I'll be fine." The three in front of me shared a confused look, before nodding. They sped up and I walked at a normal pace, staring up at the sky.

Let's see, what should I do for the trick tower. It's unlikely that I'll land in the room with Gon, and even if I do I would have to take a place instead of Tonpa. But that will affect the plot, won't it? All I have to hope is that I don't land in a room with either Hisoka or Illumi. That'd suck. Illumi would probably kill me on the spot, Hisoka would probably get sick of me and kill me as well. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get in a room alone, or at least with Ponzu.

Then there's the fourth phase. If I draw Hisoka or Illumi's badge, then I might as well just drown myself in the ocean. I should probably focus on hiding instead of wandering around and attacking.

   "Y/n, whatcha thinking about?" Leorio asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"Just thinking about what the exam may hold." I said, before looking to my right to see that Kurapika was standing next to me with his arms crossed. "Why are you upset?" I asked.

   "I'm not upset about anything." Kurapika grumbled.

   "So, Y/n, do you like cats or dogs?" I thought about leorio's question for a moment.

"Well, I think cats are adorable and they are super soft," Kurapika flashed Leorio a small smile, "but I'd have to go with dogs, dogs are just so lovable and I can play with them more than with a cat." Leorio grinned at Kurapika, who let out a small angry puff of air. "Why?"

"Because Kurapika thinks cats are better, Gon likes both of them. But you and I know that dogs are obviously superior! You know, you and I have a lot of similarities, maybe that means something..." Leorio said, looking at me with a brow raised.

   "Thanks for the idea specs, but I'll have to pass for now." I said to him,

   "'For now' is good enough for me." He grinned before resting his arm on my shoulder.

"Leorio, your flirting needs work. And Y/n, you'd be crazy to fall in love with him." Kurapika said, causing Leorio to gain a tick mark on his forehead.

"Would you like me to fall in love with you instead?" Kurapika's face turned red and I chuckled. "Just kidding, don't worry."

"Hey Y/n? How come you're talking to Kurapika and Leorio way more than when you first met me?" Gon asked

While I wanted to say, 'because I'm a simp' I just said, "Because they're closer to my age." He nodded and looked back down at his feet.

   After over two hours of hell, we finally made it to the couples house and I got myself ready.