ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕠

"So, you want me to make this mortal woman fall in love with a hideous monster and have her get eaten by said monster?" Eros said monotonously.

Aphrodite nodded and smiled. "Great plan, right?"

Eros sighed and rubbed his temples. "So, you're telling me that you didn't come back home because you're jealous?"

"No, Eros! I'm upset that she took my followers and offerings."

Eros finally understood and got upset for his mother. "How dare she do that!?"

"Right!? I need her to be punished immediately. Or otherwise, the mortals won't respect me and they'll never leave me gifts or offerings!"

Eros nodded his head and Aphrodite smiled at her son. "What would I do without you, Eros?" She hugged her son and squeezed his face, kissing him on the forehead. "Now go. And come back when she is punished."

-Psyche's POV-

Father was trembling, as well as my sisters. When I heard father's words, I wasn't surprised. But I was terrified. I was to wed a hideous, snake-like monster, one even Zeus himself feared. No tears would come out, but why? This was supposed to be something that would make me cry. My sister was wailing and my father wouldn't let me go.

"Not Psyche! Please, no!" Aglaura wailed. Cidippe was crying as well, her hand was on my back, and she was squeezing my chiton, not letting go.

Mother came running, her eyes were noticeably red. "Not my Psyche. Please gods, no."

-That Night-

I had laid in bed, not being able to sleep. I had always known that the gods would punish me. But what have I done to upset them? I have been the best I could be, so why must they punish me? I felt my heart shatter into pieces. I have to leave my family, forever, and I have to go to a lofty mountain-top, where I shall be taken to my new husband. I closed my eyes and sighed. I hope my death is peaceful.

-Eros' POV-

I sneaked into the home of the mortal who dared disrespect my mother. How is she special? Why would she do that to my poor mother? Rage filled my veins. How dare she? She's just a mere mortal! I walked around the castle and tried looking for her room, but found nothing. Guards were all over the place, making it difficult to find her. Then I heard weeping. I looked down the hall and saw light coming from a room. I ran quickly and peeked inside the room, hoping it was Psyche. But all I found were some women and a man, crying.

"Why must this happen to her?" wept the man.

I scoffed and continued down the hallway. She must be around here somewhere. Then I found a room that I haven't searched yet. The door was closed and there were no guards. I opened the door and walked inside. I saw a body on the bed, a woman's body. "I found you," I whispered. I walked towards her, ready to take revenge. But, when the moonlight shined on her face, her features were noticeable. And I stopped, stunned. Her soft, brown skin, her black straight hair, and her beautiful features showed.

I stood there, watching her sleep. I couldn't believe my eyes. How can a mortal be so beautiful?

"Princess Psyche?" I jumped at the sound of the voice, taking me out of my trance. I looked at the door and back at Psyche, who was slowly opening her eyes. I panicked and looked around. I noticed the window and jumped out, flying into the air. I reached a far distance from the castle and decided to rest.

I can't kill her. I can't let her marry a hideous monster either. How do I save her?

-Psyche's POV-

"Psyche," Lycas puled. "It is time to go."

I sighed and walked out of my room. Lycas escorted me to my parents, who were standing outside the castle. I was scared. I wanted to stay, but the fates have decided my future. "Father, mother. I have come."

They looked at me sadly, both having tears in their eyes. My sisters were crying still, which made me want to stay more. Lycas had also cried, for the first time I've ever met him. My father told everyone of the horrible news, and everyone wept. I felt horrible. Have I actually done something wrong? The only thing I had was my beauty, but I didn't want to be like this. I was just born like this. If I had known that my life would have been like this, I simply wouldn't have accepted it.

"Psyche, please forgive me," father hugged me and cried. I hugged him, and for the first time in days, I cried.

"Father, I don't want to leave. I want to stay!" I wept and wailed, the tears never-ending. "Father! Mother! I don't want to leave! I don't want to leave my sisters!"

Mother and father hugged me tightly, it seemed like they would never let go. But sadly, they did. I sniffled, wiping my tears from my eyes. "It is time," mother said regretfully.

My sisters hugged me goodbye, not having the heart to see me be abandoned at the mountain-top. "Goodbye," I whispered. As we departed to the mountain-top, my veil swayed with the wind, and the clouds started to form. A single tear fell, and I finally said goodbye to my home.

-Some Time-

As I sat on the mountain-top, I prayed. I prayed to any god that would listen. I prayed and prayed. But no one answered.

"Ah, I see you're the one everyone admires!"

I jumped at the voice. "Hello?"

"I startled you! How adorable! Psyche, such a beautiful name!"

"Who are you?" I questioned.

"Ah, yes, yes, I guess I'll introduce myself. My name is Zephyrus, the west wind. I am here to take you to your new husband."

"My new husband," I whispered. I sighed, ready to accept my fate. "Well, Zephyrus, take me."

I heard a chuckle and was gently picked up by the wind. "You know, maybe this will be a good thing for you!" Zephyrus exclaimed.

"How? I am to marry a hideous monster that might eat me!"

"You never know if your husband might treat you right."

I only sighed and looked at the sky. It was cloudy and grey and it smelled like rain. I guess this will be the last time I'll be able to enjoy the smell of rain. Why must the fates be cruel?