Chapter 12: Don't You Worry

Sara-Maria smiles faintly as she hears that someone opens the front door. A moment later she can hear footsteps when Marco enters the kitchen. He stops next to her and kisses the top of her head. "You smell good," he says.

She looks up from her newspaper, meeting his eyes. "Are you sure it's not the pastry? I just baked profiteroles," she teases him.

He gently tugs at her hand so she rises from her seat, then he wraps his arms around her, nuzzling the side of her neck with his nose. "Nah, it's you that smells good," he replies; she can feel him smile against her skin. "Really good..."

His face is a bit cold, but it doesn't feel unpleasant on her skin. "You smell good yourself," she tells him. He smells of his fresh shower gel, which is just so good, so... Marco.

Marco's lips leave her neck and move towards her lips, kissing her slow and deep, making her feel slightly light headed. His hands travel down her sides, to her back, pulling her closer to him. "Marco... not now," Sara-Maria says weakly, trying to pull back a little. "I'm waiting for the profiteroles to cool down so I can fill them with the cream."

"There's plenty of time, then," he murmurs before claiming her mouth once again. All the protests vanish from her mind; how can she think straight when Marco is kissing her like this... when his hands are all over her body? He gently takes off her glasses, putting them on top of the newspaper on the kitchen table. She closes her eyes, letting herself be steered out of the kitchen.

She only opens them again when Marco sits down on the sofa and pulls her down with him, so that she's now sitting on his lap, straddling him. The look in his eyes makes heart beat even faster than it already does. He holds her gaze as his fingers graze her neck slowly, towards the curve between her neck and her shoulder. She puts a hand on his chest. His heart is beating fast, too... It pleases her to think that she affects him the same way as he affects her.

With his other hand, Marco gently pulls her hair elastic off her ponytail, making her hair fall around her shoulder. "I like your hair down like this," he says softly, tossing the elastic on the table behind her. Then he places his hand on her shoulder, pulling her towards him, pressing his lips on her collarbone. Her breath hitches as she feels his tongue on the skin between her collarbones, as well as his hand on her lower back.

"Marco... I... I need to talk to you-" she stutters, placing her hands on his shoulders for support. "...It's important."

"About what?" he murmurs against the base of her throat.

She pulls back a little so she can see his face. He seems to get the hint and leans back. But when she shifts, he shakes his head and holds her still. She sighs and relents, although it's a bit weird to talk in this position. Marco is still watching her face intently, and his fingers are doing some circling patterns on her lower back, making it difficult for her to concentrate on what she's about to say.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" he asks with arched brows. His voice sounds rather normal, but there's a faint smile on his face that makes her sure he knows exactly what he's doing to her... with his distracting fingers.

Sara-Maria takes a deep breath. Okay, focus. "Bea called me earlier. My family has found out about us," she says. His hands are still resting on her lower back, but he has stopped doing patterns with his fingers. "I thought I was going to wait to tell them until I went home next weekend, but well, they know now."

"Okay."

She looks into his eyes. "My sisters are fine with it. So is my dad I think-most likely. It's just my mum..." She doesn't want to lie to him about anything; not anymore. "Well, the thing is... she's a bit judgemental, and she only sees you as a popular footballer. She doesn't know you like I do, Marco," she tells him softly. He says nothing, so she says again, "I talked to her earlier, and I told her that I'll explain everything once I get home. I also asked her to give you a chance. So, I'm sure it'll be okay." She smiles reassuringly, moving her hand to caress his cheek.