Chapter 18: You Before Me

a/n: I apologise for the long wait, and I know that I said the next update was going to be the last chapter. But after writing it, i realised that it didn't fit. So, this is the second to last chapter. I'm sorry that you'll have to endure the pain a little bit longer...

~*~

"Wait, I need to get something in McPaper," Yvonne says when Marco turns towards the exit.

"What?" Marco asks incredulously. Nico tugs at his hand to show him something behind a shop's window display, but he doesn't react. His mind sort of freezes the moment Yvonne mentions McPaper. He only agreed to join Yvonne and Nico to do a little shopping for Melanie's birthday, but now she suddenly wanted to go to McPaper?

He glances at her in suspicion. Marco hasn't told her or Melanie or anyone about what happened between him and Sara-Maria. Probably because if he told them, then it would be final, like he accepted that they were done. And he's not sure if he is ready to admit that yet. He has to, sooner or later, but not for now. However, Yvonne seems to sense that something is wrong. It must be because of Marco's short, ambiguous reply when she asked about why Sara-Maria hadn't been around lately. His sister knows him well after all.

Yvonne smiles at him knowingly, as if daring him to object, and if he does then he'll have to explain why he hesitates to go to the shop where his girlfriend works. "Fine," he finally says.

The thought of seeing Sara-Maria again after these few weeks both excites and terrifies him. Of course he fucking misses her. But this is for the best. He thought he would meet her when he was ready, but there's a possibility that he'll never be ready. How do you tell the girl you love that she is better off without you? Yes, exactly. He's hoping that with time, it won't hurt that much anymore. Because time is supposed to heal everything, right?

God, Marco, you're so fucking naïve.

As they enter the shop, he spots Emily, who smiles at him when she sees him. And then his gaze falls on the other girl by the counter—whom he hasn't seen before. He doesn't know if he feels relieved or disappointed that Sara-Maria is not there.

"Hello, Marco," Emily greets her.

Marco nods and smiles at her. "Emily." The other girl is helping Yvonne and Nico in the colouring pencils/crayon section. He can't help remembering the time when he went here to get crayons for Nico, and Sara-Maria suggested him the waterproof one. It feels like ages ago. He wonders if Emily knows about what happened. He bets she does.

"Sara-Maria is in McPaper Essen these past few days. Someone is having a holiday. She'll be back tomorrow," Emily explains. And then after a moment she says softly, "I hope you guys can work it out."

Yeah, she does know. Marco doesn't think they can, unfortunately, but he gives her a faint smile and says politely, "Thank you."

Unfortunate, indeed.

~*~

"Yes, Emily, I'll be back tomorrow," Sara-Maria says, taking her boots off. Emily called her when she arrived at home, asking her if she really would be back tomorrow, as well as informing her that... Marco was at the shop today.

She moves the phone from one ear to the other. From what Emily said, it seemed that the woman who was with him (she assumed it was Yvonne, because Nico was with them) asked him to go there, because Marco seemed rather reluctant. Sara-Maria can imagine that. He's probably feeling the same way as she is; afraid of what will become of them. She doesn't like this uncertainty, but at least there's still hope, regardless of how small it is. Yes, she wants Marco back. But does he want her back...? What if he thinks they're better off this way?