Chapter 19: Choices

a/n: Yes, this is the last chapter. Thank you for everyone who has been reading and leaving me nice messages. I'm a bit sad it's over, but this has been a pleasure to write. :)

~*~

You're better off without me.

Those words keep playing in Sara-Maria's mind, over and over again, like a cruel echo that she can't block. She has thought a lot in these past few days, about how it all went wrong and that Marco broke up with her. Although she fully understands his reason, it doesn't mean that she can accept it. He does it because he loves her... she doesn't doubt that. But, it doesn't change the fact that he has given up on her—on them. That he thinks there's no other way.

And it breaks her heart.

She can't even think about what will happen if things were different anymore. Because it's irrelevant, isn't it? It won't change the fact that she and Marco are history. And there's nothing she can do about it.

Or is there?

A girl approaches her to ask about the some photo paper. She's unsure if she should get matte or glossy paper. Sara-Maria pushes all the thoughts about Marco aside and does her best to help the customer. "The biggest difference is that the printing result in glossy paper has sharper and more vibrant colours, but it reflects the light, and things like fingerprints or dust are easily visible on them," she explains. "Whilst matte paper may not have the same colour finish, it doesn't have the problems with the reflection and fingerprints. So, I guess it depends on the necessity. If you'd frame the picture, I'd suggest glossy paper."

The girl says glossy paper sounds great, and after Sara-Maria asks her what type of printer the customer is using, she recommends one suitable for the printer.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" she asks the girl, smiling politely.

The girl is looking at her, looking a bit hesitant. Then she says, "No, thanks. And don't take this the wrong way, but... you're Marco's girlfriend, aren't you?"

At this point it doesn't even surprised Sara-Maria anymore, since she has been asked about it so many times. But what the girl says next does take her by surprise. "I feel bad about all the terrible things people write about you. You seem very nice, and nobody deserves to be treated like that."

"Thank you," is all Sara-Maria can say. The girl smiles genuinely at her and they both walk to the checkout counter. Although it doesn't change the fact that she's not in Marco's life anymore, it makes her feel slightly better. "Thank you for telling me this," she tells the girl as she gives her the paper. The girl smiles at her once more and then leaves the shop.

~*~

Bea comes to visit before she's leaving to Italy the next day, so it's a good distraction for Sara-Maria. Bea knows, of course, what happened between her and Marco, and she's being careful so far, trying not to mention Marco, which is something Sara-Maria appreciates. After dinner, they're just chilling, watching TV in the living room.

They're watching an old rerun of America's Next Top Model, when Bea lightly mentions that the new collection she modelled for, got really poor reviews, and some fashion blogs blamed her for that. The blogs that are never fond of her from the start, always saying she's too edgy or even downright weird. Bea sounds like she doesn't care, and Sara-Maria doesn't understand how so.

"Doesn't it bother you at all?" Sara-Maria asks. "The one-sided judgement."

Bea shrugs. "Those are just words. They don't know me personally, and I'm not going to let their subjective opinions bother me, keeping me from doing what I love."