12 | кαrмα

Karma

Karma

Jamie Myers

How did I get here, was the only thought that ran through my mind as I made the trek through the all-too-familiar suburbia, adorned with matching houses, fresh-cut lawns, and abnormally happy families. Their happiness wasn't real—it was all a façade they were putting up because pretending to be happy was much better than dealing with the reality of life.

Because the reality of life was that it sucked, hard.

In reality, the loyal wife was cheating on her husband, the hard-working father was in debt and gambling his life away, and the smart kids were cheating their way into college, but as long as it looked like a happy family, it was.

But I wasn't like them. I was practical—logical, even. I didn't fawn over the impossible idea of a happy life because my childhood taught me better. I had a happy life, and it was taken away from me. The good times rarely outweighed the bad, this I knew, so why had I tricked myself into thinking that caring about someone other than myself would do me any good? My attachment to Scar was my own fault, so I had no one else to blame for the weird feeling that pounded in my chest every time I envisioned the hurt in Scar's eyes when he found out the truth.

It was the middle of the night when I leapt into Max's bedroom window unannounced. He always kept his window open at night for this very purpose since his parents weren't too fond of us spending time together. They had some preconceived notion that I had turned him into a flamboyant gay, when in reality, I was the one fighting off the ignorant assholes who bulled him at school. Sex for protection sounded like a pretty fair trade if you asked me.

"Max," I shouted in a bare whisper to alert him of my presence.

He shot out of bed, eyes searching the room in despair until they finally landed on me, which seemed to calm him down. He dragged a lazy hand down his face and let out a relieved sigh. "Fuck, Jamie, why do you always do this?"

"I get horny at night," I said for lack of anything better. The real reason was because I didn't want to go home to face Jillian. She wasn't completely wrong for calling me out for the asshole I was, but it resulted in me losing the one thing I actually cared about in a long while.

So, I decided it would be better for the both of us if we let each other calm down.

"What's wrong?" Max asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. He had gotten out of bed now, allowing me to get a good view of the slight bulge in his white briefs.

"Nothing," I lied.

"Ah, come on. Something's up."

"Yeah..." I gave him one of my famous cheeky grins to get him off my tail and approached him slowly, "...me." That was all it took for Max to drop the subject and return the smile. He was a smart boy, but rarely did he ever question anything when sex was on the table and tonight, it was going to be on the table.