13 | нσw мαтн wσrкs

How Math Works

How Math Works

Scar Patterson

Kissing Jamie was beyond simple. It was just connecting our lips and moving them together in sync—and we were, in sync. Just the thought alone made my stomach turn uncontrollably because for as long as I could remember, I knew I liked girls. The possibility of being gay, or bi, or whatever, never once crossed my mind because it was one of those things that I was absolutely sure of ... until now.

I laid still in my bed, staring blankly at the ceiling fan and becoming fascinated with the whir of the blades. It was one of the only times that I've gotten to unwind after everything that has happened.

My life had seen a number of unexpected turns in the span of one week. I thought I was the most loved boy at Summer Hill High, but all it took was for me to kiss Jamie for the entire student body to view me as an outsider. The team teased me, the girls at school avoided me, my girlfriend broke up with me, and my best friend betrayed me. It was almost like my entire world was being turned upside down all because of a dumb charity kiss and the only person who I cared to be around was surprisingly the boy who made me kiss him.

Jamie came into my life by a weird stroke of luck, some stupid dare that turned into more. I remembered the moment I found out Jamie's reasoning behind attempting to help me get Francesca back. He was in the middle of a heated argument with his sister and said something that I couldn't shake ever since I heard it: Being with Scar makes me forget about my shitty life for just a moment. At first, it hurt to think that he was only in my life for some sort of weird sexual gratification, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I had never had that type of effect on someone before. This week taught me that the people I thought loved me, didn't, and they could turn on me at any given chance.

But Jamie wanted to be there for me.

He wanted to stop me from fighting Trey so I wouldn't ruin my chances at a college football scholarship. He wanted to take me home when I was piss drunk. He wanted to stop me from hurting my sister anymore that I already have. He wanted to stay with me in the hospital after my injury all while my teammates worked the kissing booth without even bothering to send a get-well message.

We both knew I was flawed, but Jamie didn't seem to see the flaws.

My thoughts drifted to my father and how I wished he was still here to tell me what these feelings mean. He always gave the best advice to us, and I know he would probably chastise me for how mean I was being to my sister. Because Amy didn't deserve it—she never did. I was sad, guilty and bitter that the only way I could cope was to put the blame on someone else. But after seeing my mother in another drunken hallucination trip and almost losing Amy, I knew I had to do better somehow.

For Dad.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and I jumped in my skin a little. My insides began to twitch with anticipation at the thought of Jamie being on the other side of the front door, but I surprised myself when that feeling dissipated into thin air once I saw who was.