Chapter 21 | A Double Date At The Drive-In

So, uh, if I get too much backlash for this chapter, I'll rewrite the ending-

Kingsley adjusted his magenta jacket as he entered the dark gymnasium. He quietly cleared his throat, something he had to do quite often, given the naturally raspy tone his voice carried. Luckily, Liam hadn't heard him, as the latter was too occupied with his own thoughts.

Liam eventually heard Kingsley approaching, given the soft tapping sound his shoes made with every step. He turned to the sound, attempting to wipe his face clean from his tears.

"Hey," Kingsley gently spoke, kneeling down in front of Liam, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Liam sniffed, brushing his bangs to be in front of his face, trying to hide his teary face.

There was a small pause, before Kingsley continued, "Rejection sucks, huh?"

Nodding, Liam pressed his knees up to his chest.

"Yeah..." The rose-eyed boy sighed, "Well, you gave it your best shot, right? That's all that matters."

Liam simply shrugged, his face still buried into his knees.

"Uh... Well, I don't believe we've properly met," Kingsley faltered, weakly smiling, "Kingsley Patel, pleasure to-"

"I know who you are." Liam dully muttered back, "Drew and Jake told me."

Kingsley let out a sharp, slightly frustrated exhale, "Alright then..." He slightly moved so he was next to Liam, instead of in front of him, and sat down, leaning on the stage for support. "Liam, right?"

"Yeah." Liam mumbled. "Just get it over with and tell me what you want from me."

"Um..." Kingsley awkwardly spoke.

"We've never spoken before so clearly you want something. Tell me what it is."

Sighing, he knew Liam wasn't gonna budge, for all his responses so far had been utterly dull. "I have this letter... I just want you to put it in Jake's locker. I don't-"

"Sure." Still refusing to look at the boy next to him, Liam held out his hand.

Kingsley stared at his hand, and after a couple of seconds, Liam angrily motioned his hand, "Give it to me. I'll put it in his locker."

"Right," Kingsley said, reaching into his jacket pocket to grab it. He pulled it out, placing it in Liam's hand. "By the way, it's not like a love letter or any-"

"Don't care. You can leave now."

Kingsley narrowed his eyes, clearing his throat once more, "Well, as much as I appreciate it, why exactly are you helping me?"

"I don't know!" Liam exclaimed, throwing his head back so it hit the stage, his eyes staring up at the roof, "Stacy just rejected me, I don't even care about anything anymore." Tears trickled down his freckled face, pattering onto his shoulders and the floor beneath him.

Kingsley wasn't too sure what to do. He wanted to leave, he did, but his heart told him not to. So, he carefully placed his hand onto Liam's shoulder, "Hey, it's okay! So, she wasn't the one, there's plenty of fish in the sea!"

The second the words left his mouth, Liam broke down into uncontrollable sobs, collapsing down so he was leaning onto Kingsley.

Surprised by the sudden action, Kingsley awkwardly patted his shoulder, "Uh- There, there."

"I'm gonna be alone forever, aren't I?" Liam murmured, in between his crying.

"No! No, of course not! You'll find someone!" Kingsley beamed.