Chapter 3: Fractured Memories

Here's your food you impatient parasites, no need to thank me 🙄 /j

...

After 10 minutes, he finished eating the other arm. We sat in silence for a good 20 minutes. During those 20 minutes, he just stared at the fire. I don't know what was so satisfying about fire, but seeing that he was the former flame Hashira, I guess it's just their thing. But, the more I watched him, I noticed something. The way he looked at the fire seemed unfocused. Maybe he was just zoning out.

Akaza: "Hey, Kyojuro."

He just glared at the fire.

Akaza: "..?"

I moved over to him from where I had sat down. I waved my hand in front of his face. No reaction. No blink, no nothing. His eyes were locked on the fire.

Akaza: "What the hell.."

The guy had literally fallen unconscious. He deadass passed out while sitting up with his eyes open. How he managed that, I have no idea. It was creepy, almost like he was dead (except for the fact he was still breathing, and I could still hear his pulse). The creepiest part? He didn't snore. Despite looking like the type of guy to snore in his sleep, he didn't. That nonexistent quality just added onto how haunting he looked. Maybe it was a defensive mechanism, like if he slept like this, people wouldn't attack him because they'd think he was awake or something. Strange that he'd still have this quality even after becoming a demon.

Akaza: "Jeez you're creepy. I wonder how children reacted to you passed out like this.."

I backed away from him and sat back down. It wasn't that strange to see a demon taking a nap during the day, especially since we don't exactly have anything better to do while the sun is out. We usually take naps to pass the time or to concentrate on healing wounds (only weak demons take naps to heal wounds). I don't know of many demons who take naps just because they're tired. I looked at Kyojuro again. Normally, people would never feel fatigued after transformation. In fact, they'd feel more alive than ever.

Then again, Kyojuro was a Hashira. He might have been trained to withstand a certain amount of demon blood, which is probably why he didn't transform into a demon right away even after I gave him the prescribed amount of blood. Plus, his transformation was really bizarre. Honestly, I wouldn't be very surprised if he had passed out due to fatigue, since that transformation probably took a major toll on him. Maybe his blood is still trying to figure out how to tolerate my blood. His body might be working extra hard to keep him alive right now.

Akaza: "Eh, he'll be fine."

I closed my eyes and retreated into my thoughts. What felt like 3 minutes later, I heard a small groan.

Kyojuro: "Ow.."

I opened my eyes and looked at him.

Akaza: "Eh?"

He had put his hand on his head and was frowning with his eyes shut. It looked like he was having a headache.

Akaza: "You alright there, bud?"

Kyojuro: "I just had the strangest... dream."

This man just transformed an hour ago and he's having dreams? That shouldn't be possible. Maybe he's just confused.

Akaza: "Would you be willing to emphasize that?"

This time he actually glared at the fire.

Akaza: "Kyojuro?"

Kyojuro: "...Why can't demons go out during the day?"

He avoided my question. Splendid. I sighed.