Chapter one

Thaddeus Spade

The spade name was infamous with death and suffering. The moment I'd known that to be the case, I was already the cause of most of it.

When you are a Spade, there are things that are expected of you. Blood shed is the first and foremost expectation.

"Smileys, that's what they call it." My second hand Ali said putting the package down on the table. I leaned over from my chair and picked it up.

I peeled the package open, gently. the fact that this little thing has already caused me 4 million dollars in losses in just a two month period drives me to anger.

There's a small book inside, decorated by a drawing of a cartoon bunny wearing a hair tie around its ears and a checkered apron. I looked up at Ali and he says nothing.

The book smells strongly of a woman's perfume and faintly of rubbing alcohol.
I flipped through the book, swiftly, looking for any small baggies or even loose pills.

My search results to nothing, even as I lift up the book and flip it upside down and shake it. I slammed the book down and I see Ali and his men jump.

"Is this a joke?" I asked, jaw clenching at even the idea that they'd think to humor themselves in my presence.
"No, sir." Ali answers, he leans over and picks at something left in the bag. It's a sheet of mushroom creatures and frogs stickers.

"It's the stickers sir, they're laced with something." Ali said.

"You put it on your tongue." He explains "and then it's like ecstasy after like 30 minutes."

I picked it up with a quirked up brow.
This, this silly cartoon was stamped on a drug so intoxicating that it'd managed to cut my cocaine sales down by almost 10%.

"Bring him in." I ordered, dropping the ridiculous print of blushing wide eyed green faces away from me.

Von, our resident drug tester dummy came in, he's shaking with withdrawal already.

"Sir-" he starts and I push the laminated sheet towards him, my eye catches on my father's gold and obsidian ring.
I'm reminded temporarily of pulling it off his rigor Mortis hand.

"It's all we have to offer you today." I announce, watching as he launches towards the bag and pulls out the sheet, he looks around expecting a pill, powder, needle...anything.
He looks up at me with wide shaky and pleading red ringed blue eyes.

"Take one, put it on your tongue, tell me everything." The instructions were clear enough for the vibrating man and he reaches for the stickers.

"Wh- which one?" He asked, I shut my eyes and bring my hand to my forehead.
"Which one, Ali?" I asked, irritated that any of this was even happening.
"any... they're all laced."

Von is enthused by the word 'laced' and peels off one sticker. Immediately tossing it into his mouth.
"Don't swallow it, just leave it on your tongue...if you swallow it, it doesn't work." Ali growled and Von shivers but nods submissively.

I smirked to myself and almost pat myself on the back. Seeing my first ever competitor brought to his knees before me like this always send a trill up my spine.

This man used to look down on me, used to order me around and call me an ant under his thumb. but looking at him now as he shakes and shivers from withdrawal and stinks of all the bodily fluids, I feel pride bloom out of my chest.

Once I'd killed my father, I'd been unable to gain the respect of his allies right away and they'd all slipped out of my fingers.
They thought I was young, that I was weak...
But a spade is a spade still, regardless of Age.