Chapter Twenty Eight

Thaddeus Spade

I felt the cold press of the stethoscope on my back.
"In." Eric orders and I obey, taking in a deep breath.
"Out." I follow that as well.

"How's your hearing?" Eric asked looking into my ear with the otoscope.
"Still sensitive but it's manageable." I tell him.
"Your blood pressure is a little high, did anything out of the norm happen?"

I think back to yesterday.

Anita stormed off after her declaration that I should go fuck my self was received loud and clear.

I worried about her so I stood up to follow her but as soon as I arrived at our bedroom she slams the door so hard, the sound sends a strike of pain through my skull.

I had to take a moment to settle myself before I spoke up.

"Anita." I called her name rattling the doorknob.

"I don't need this." I could hear Anita say through the closed door, but then the sound of a choked sob is heard so clearly.

I didn't mean to hurt her, I didn't mean to make her cry either.
I just needed space to figure things out.

"Anita open the door please." I let the more rational side of myself take over to lower the chance of scaring her further away right now.

The door is pulled open and Anita stands there with a bag of clothes so stuffed that the clothing hung off the side.

"Wait." I said immediately, fear polluting my every thought.
"No, I can't handle any of this right now."

I turn to follow her as she walks away and then wonder to myself, whether things would just be better this way.

I leaned against the door and watched her walk away.

I opened the door once she was gone and entered my bedroom.
Inside of my bedside table is a hidden compartment that hits my security pad.

I rarely use the device as my home is being monitored all the time but the desire to see Anita even if she was walking away from me was enough for me to need to see her go myself.

I type in the password and rewind the feed until I see her walking away from me.

My heart squeezes in my chest.
She walks over to the room hosting her cats and picks up the smallest one and the other one a black cat follows behind her before she shuts the door.

She walks out of the house and to one of the houses in the back and then she comes back without them.

She goes upstairs to her bedroom once more and gets Joy, the cat who scratched me once.
The cat's demeanor hasn't changed because it immediately started clawing at her arm.

She ignore it as she shuts the door but then she adjusts her hold to prevent any more of the cat's aggression.

It dawned on me all too quickly that she was really leaving.
She was making sure her cats would remain safe by leaving them with Aaron for the time being.

She was really leaving and I had driven her away.

My head swarmed with angry bees, buzzing so loud I almost brought my hands up to my ears.

She Carries the bag she left by the doorway and she heads to the main door.

She walks down the driveway all the way down the the gate.

My phone rings and I pick it up, already knowing who is on the other side.

"Anita stone is headed towards the gates Boss."
Matt informs me.
"I know." I reply, lazily.
"What are your orders?"